• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about CS freezing up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PigGuy

I have a question, Duh:
I have had this setup for awhile, and I'm wondering what changed. When I'm playing CS, or any HL mod, my computer freezes about every minute, for about 2-5 seconds. Sometimes it freezes for good.
I have:
750 Duron
Apollo Kyro II
SB Live Value
MS Win XP Pro
Soltek 75DRV2 Mobo
512MB RAM

I have uninstalled CS and HL several times, without anything changing. I have closed all programs running in the backround and I've reinstalled all my video card drivers too.
At first, I thougt it was my DSL changing my IP, but I've tried it on a LAN too.

WHAT DO I DO??? (or what did I do)

I found this on the OC.com CS clans forum.

VooDoo Rufus said:
Just figured out it wasn't my card that was causing the problems. It was my buy script. The new drivers for my card did help some connection/graphics issues, but the buy script is what makes it crash. I love my Kyro II otherwise. Can't match a Geforce 3 and up for anti-aliasing. My roommate is running one, and does 4x FSAA, 32bit color, at 1024x768 at 100fps sustained, except for smokebombs. Dang fast. It's smooth. A joy to play on. Mine will do 100fps at 1280x960, 32bit sustained also, but no FSAA. Oh well. Good card for the price.

This person was having pretty much the same problems you describe. He also said that he wasn't using the most currnet drivers (sorry no version number)

Hope that helps!

I am pretty sure its my vid card, I guess its time to move on...
I think I'll buy a Radeon 8500 LE from best buy, dont have time to wait for shipping, I'm hosing a 40 person LAN at my house next weekend!

I had the same problem it was XP's drivers for my card thay screwed it up so I went back to 2000, no problem.:D

I highly doubt its your video card. Does any other games play that way? I would unistall all you HL stuff and reinstall your video driver. And since you did that I would Format the thing! Or you could load windows over itself.

Back