• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about if ram affects amount of ocing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gabe69

Registered
Hey everyone, I got a newbe question, I have a Pentium 4 2.53 Ghz overclocked at 2.87 Ghz, I have 512 MB of DDR PC2100 RAM, now my question is well I be able to overclock higher with more ram? I think Iam gonna get a gig of PC3200 DDR RAM, so then I'll have a gig and a 1/2 of ram, so will I be able to overclock higher?

you will have to remove the pc2100, othewise your system will be forced to run the pc3200 stuff at pc2100 speeds.

you should really to some serious reading about overclocking and different kinds of ram before you go out and buy some new ram, otherwise you may end up being very dissapointed. it all really depends on which kind of ram you get. some pc3200 ram overclocks very well, while others won't overclock at all.

More MBs of RAM does not effect overclocking. It is the speed of the RAM. The RAM speed syncs with the processor FSB speed. PC2100 runs at 266 MHz. PC3200 runs at 400 MHz. Don't mix the slower speed RAM with the faster speed RAM. The PC3200 will allow you to raise your processor FSB.

ok so when I get more ram I should take out my 2100? or should I leave it in, that means if I leave it in then I'll have slower ram, but more of it, but if I take it out I'll have faster ram, but less of it, witch one is gonna give me more benifts?

If you take it out then your RAM will run at the faster speed, so your overclock will be better. You said you were getting a gig, so IHMO there wont be any noticable difference between 1 and 1.5 GB of RAM.

yeah, a gig of high quality 3200 will be just fine. you will get overclocks out of some quality stuff from corsair or ocz. do some research.

Back