• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wajed

Registered
I have Intel Pentium 4 640 CPU, and an ASUS P5G41C-M LX MoBo.

How can I OC the CPU? There are no options in the BIOS.

It depends for what you need it. If oc for benchmarks then try SetFSB but you have to know pll and if you wish to oc for everyday use like work/games then it's no point and better just get something new ( or other board but it will be still slow ).

Not for benchmarks, and not for gaming.

It is not my system, (my parents'), I just want it to perform better till I get mine, and I may keep it OCed a little for them.

SetFSB is commercial. If there is not another option I'll go with it.

there are older free versions that should be ok for your board but still I have no idea if you find pll, probably you can read your pll version from chip on the board

My PLL seems to be unsupported by both the older and the newer versions.
Here it is:
pllw.jpg

What can I do?

If there aren't any options in the BIOS and the PLL isn't supported I guess a motherboard replacement may be one of the only solution or buying a new processor (I believe that one is stock 3.2 I imagine you can find a 3.6 for relatively cheap nowadays as it is very old technology).

Can't do much more ... you can try other close versions from the list but there is no guarantee that all will work stable.
Max stable on this cpu and standard air cooling can be something near 3.8GHz. I doubt that you will really notice any difference after oc.

Back