• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for voodoo 5500 owners

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myself and I

Disabled
I might buy this card next week but i have a question first.

Do you think this card will compare to the geforce 2 ultra when it comes to FPS in games?
The GPU on the voodoo 5500 is alot more cpu depedent than the geforce 2 so do you get better FPS with higher MHZ?

I took this from a review site for the voodoo 5500 is this true?
"compatibility and performance. New 1.04.01 beta drivers with HSR support make the 5500 faster than the nVIDIA Ultra!!"

The Voodoo 5 5500 will not cut it when compared to a GF2 Ultra. I have both and there is a huge differance. I also have a Asus GF2 MX and when overclocked it tests about the same as a stock V5, the ultra is light years ahead though. You may want to check out the MX400's they should be a great bang for the buck card. Also add to this that driver support for the Voodoo line is done so if any problems arise you are SOL! NVidia makes the best drivers thats why I like there products so much. ATI makes a sweet card but there driver support leaves a lot to be desired. I recomend you go with a NVidia based card.

Yes, extremely better. The Voodoo5 Has much better FSAA then the GF2 Ultra. They say that if you want a general idea of the comparisons, the Geforce2 Line of cards 4x FSAA (2x2), is about as equal as the Voodoo5's 2x FSAA.

The problem with FSAA is that you take a preformance hit for the increased video quality. I own a V5 5500 and have relagated it to one of my backup machines because it couldn't cut it. To be fair though I have 21" and 19" monitors so I like to game at a high resolution for a quality picture. 1152x870 with all graphics options set to highest settings, this plays perfect in all games on my overclocked GF2 Ultra. As for the V5 it just has no chance at this but I keep it around for older glide games plus at least in d3d and open gl it will do 32bit color. I do like the card a lot but it's not enough for a big monitor.

Back