• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for WoW (Alliance) guys, good support char

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
oh and I just looked, i'm close to crusader strike... i'm 44 now, and i've spent all my points on ret. so its close :)
just to clarify... 110% = 100 damage would become 220? lol thats alot for every 6 secs

actually, once you get past 40 prot can be effective for leveling, instead of killing one mob quickly you just kill 4 mobs at a time. I have seen a number of threads that actually suggest that prot is faster for leveling then ret. I can't vouch for that myself thougha s I leveled holy back in patch 1.4 and a lot has chnaged since then

protection tree and retribution tree from the paladin talent trees

prot paladins being paladins who have most of thier points in the protection tree
ret paladins are paladins with most of thier points in the retribution tree

BTW, NOBODY I know does that stat changer thing (I doubt it even works outside of a custom server) so stay away since it is either a scam or a key logger.
It IS a keylogger run by Russian account thieves, its well known among the community.

As for classes there are only a couple "support" classes. Any MMORPG has typically five catagories of classes:

Tank/Threat-Holder
Direct DPS
Indirect DPS / Support
Heal / Damage-Mittigation
Indirect Heal / Support

The important thing to note is that any of the classes has each mode of play, however some are better at it than others. For example lets look at Druid:

Tank: Dire-Bear Form
Direct-DPS: Catform w/t mangle
DPS Support: Boomkin or Catform w/t improved leader of the pack
Direct Heal: N/A
Support Heal: Tree-form

So it honestly depends on what spec you are but if you want straight support classes here is what you want to look for:

DPS Support: Moonkin / LoP Catform, Shadow Priest, Retribution Paladin, etc
Heal Support: Treeform Druid, Shadow Priest, Dicipline Priest, etc

I think in this case that 110% weapon damage reads more like…

Weapon damage + 10% more.

I'm not sure of the exact equation for it, but Mortal Strike for example has some weapon speed normalization built into the equation such that there is some deviation from what a person might think it would be. Basically, it will probably hit for a little more than your regular hits.

One of the key points of the ability is that it also refreshes Judgements on a target. (Also those of other Paladins.)

In a recent patch, they changed it to scale completely with weapon damage instead of a mixture with +spell damage. It helps some gear scaling issues in order to be able to scale white damage (auto attack) and CS simultaneously with gear….basically, warrior gear works great for Ret builds. Which, also greatly helped leveling as Retribution because the surplus of warrior gear works great for it.

In recent patches, Ret tree has continued to get buffed. I know people that used to level as Prot. It mostly shined when taking on lots of mobs that were relatively weak or lower level…such that they die quicker from AOE and don't hit as hard. Against higher level mobs or stronger mobs like in Outland, a player has to be careful to not to bite off more than they can chew…do less mobs at a time…runners become a problem...speed efficiency goes down. It's certainly capable of killing strong high level mobs one at a time, but will do so more slowly. Gathering ranged mobs can also be a little bit of an issue. I would think nowadays Ret will gather exp and finish quests more quickly in most situations. Similar to a leveling Warrior, keeping a good 2H weapon on hand and continually upgrading will make a huge difference in effectiveness.

My wife likes leveling Retribution a lot so far. She likes that feeling of invincibility that tends to come with the paladin class (she's used to playing clothies) and still being able to pound/nuke things (or players) down into the dirt. She's pretty mean to the allies she comes across…. :D That other day she broke 50...one day later she got to 53/54 (not sure where she ended up) just doing solo questing and a tiny bit of group questing.

Hunters FTW!!!

But really, they pwn as support.

The have good DPS, some CCs, some inturrupts, but no healz. Plus pets can be useful as off tanks if you know how to play. =)

Just dont run heroics >.>... Full beast mastery, caster comes over with staff... WHACK.. dead.

Everybody knows that shamans are THE support class. I has all my totems! No really, we are freakin amazing for total support role.
ahmen man. Shamans are a great raiding class because they can go DPS or spec into a restro tree. Hell you could collect both sets of gear and re-spec between the two very quickly.:)

...you could collect both sets of gear and re-spec between the two very quickly.:)

That's what I do on my Warrior to make him multi-purpose.

I carry my alternate gear with me everywhere I go and know all my specs by heart. 41/20/0 Arms for PvP and general play. 17/44/0 DW Fury for Raid and Heroic DPS. 11/5/45 Protection for Tanking.

It works a whole lot better than trying to make some sort of watered down do-all hybrid spec and is a lot more fun than pigeon holing a perfectly capaple character into a single function.

There is the expense though... I was spending about 300-400 gold a month in respecs, but I've slowed down just lately since I've been raiding less. :)

ahmen man. Shamans are a great raiding class because they can go DPS or spec into a restro tree. Hell you could collect both sets of gear and re-spec between the two very quickly.:)

Yeah, my ele gear has over 900 spell damage, and my enhancement gear has over 1500ish AP. Not to mention my healing gear is 2100 :)

Back