• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions on how many fans to Asus Maximus VII Formula

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Finkage

So I'm planning an upgrade and both a chassis and motherboard that have caught my eye are the Asus maximus vii formula and the Corsair 900D. I have just about everything figured out but then I realized how I needed to cool this beast, my initial plan is to have a quad rad on the bottom using only 4 SP120s from corsair in a push config, an exhaust 140AF in the rear, I'll probably keep the three intake AF style fans that come stock but I do really like the look of the rings the Corsair fans have so that might change into three SP120s (SP because very slightly quieter and the hard drive cage right in front of that fan intake). Eventually I plan to install another quad120 rad on top as exhaust in a push config with 4 SP120s and a dual rad with two SP120s on the bottom as exhaust. Everything not hooked up to a radiator is going to be hooked up directly to the PSU with a single 4 port hub (only 4 fans not on a rad) and all fans hooked up with a voltage reducer so they're even quieter. That however leaves 10 fans to be connected to the motherboard that I wanted to configure with SpeedFan but there are only 8 fan ports on the motherboard.

This is where I need help, well, just how many fans can be hooked up to one port? the Corsair SP120 quiet edition fans are 7-12V at .08A while the motherboard pins (seen here on page 58) have 12Watts at 1Amp which means there are 12Volts in each fan pin.

Does the voltage decrease and spread across the multiple fans connected (so two fans to one connection would make for 6 volts per fan) or does voltage remain constant at 12 volts? because at .08 amps couldn't you hook up multiple fans to one connection? If this is the case, I would really love to have all the Radiator fans connected to the motherboard, heck, even the non-radiator fans as well and just have them set at a constant 600rpm.

And I know fan controllers are an option, but I really don't like the way any of them look and I think adding any front bay peripherals to the 900D kind of takes away from the looks.

Thank you for all your help!

Back