• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick 8500 Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

brothernod

Well, I just picked me up a Radeon 8500 64meg retail and a sound blaster Audigy oem.
I'm gonna format it all to give them both a completely clean install of Windows XP Professional.

Now my question...what driver should I use for the 8500?? (and if it's a beta driver, can I just get it on the site??)

and while your hear, what's the best thing to do with my audigy, install their drivers, or install windows drivers, or what?? i've heard lots of crap with creative and XP.

thank

for the 8500 ive heard that the newest Ati drivers are the best yet, and for the Audigy see if the windows drivers are good enough for you only if they leave something lacking would i try to install the Audigy drivers manually....

well what exactly do the audigy drivers include??

I'm not installing that Liveware crap no matter which direction I go, but I do kinda like options to play with my hardware.

get the lates drivers for both from there respected web sites. I have both ATI8500 and SB audigy and the latest drivers seem to be the best. There are a few beta drivers for the radeon, but there performance was unchanged compared to ATI's official. IMHO.

I'm using the 6.13.10.6037

The newest beta drivers got me my highest 3dmark2001 score but I noticed intermittent Font corruption.

Its a matter of trial and error, just remove the old driver from your device manager and do a clean install as your trying different drivers.

What works best for me may not be the best for you, so its very hard to say XXX is the best driver. ;)

Im running the 6043s (leaked). Love em. Havent had any problems, although YMMV. I cant remember the dl at the moment, but run a search thru the forums and you will find them.

sailor420 said:
Im running the 6043s (leaked). Love em. Havent had any problems, although YMMV. I cant remember the dl at the moment, but run a search thru the forums and you will find them.

The 6043 is old by Internet standards :D it was released back on 3/4/02

They latest is this:

ATI Radeon Beta 6.13.10.6052 Windows XP
Description:
D3D core file version: 3250 (up from 3232 in the 6043 set)
OpenGL core file version: 3031 (up from 3008 in the 6043 set)
Desktop Version: 6.13.10.2535 (same as the 6043 set)
Theatre Mode box back in the Overlay tab
Rotation tab present by default
General revision number 7.69
Version: 6.13.6052 Filesize: 8.83 MB
Added on: 18-Mar-2002 Downloads: 3517

http://www.warp2search.net/download.php?op=viewsdownload&sid=8&min=15&orderby=titleA&show=15

Now the driver Im using is practicly an Antique
:beer:

Back