• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick E8400 vs Q6600 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ou_phidelt

I am going to be picking up an Ipod Touch and anticipate doing quite a bit of encoding of TV shows to put on it, the same to stream to my xbox. The question is what is going to be faster, I run my E8400 at 3.6 and due to heat reasons I am guessing the max I could run a Q6600 is going to be 3.2 or possibly even 3.0 in the summer. Lets assume that codec takes advantage of SSE4 for the sake of the argument, that is what is complicating the issue for me.

I am very close to pulling the trigger on the quad as I have an offer on my chip I just need to make sure it is the way to go.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you're buying a CPU based on video encoding, there is no reason not to buy a quad core. The Q6600 quad core is going to run much warmer than the E8400 dual core, but you're getting twice the video encoding performance.

If you're buying a CPU based on video encoding, there is no reason not to buy a quad core. The Q6600 quad core is going to run much warmer than the E8400 dual core, but you're getting twice the video encoding performance.

Thanks. Thats what Ithought. I got $275 for my E8400 so that will give me another $40 to maybe do something with my cooling, I don't know if my current heatsink will be up to the task.

Back