• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question about heatsink + fan...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznboi64

I'm going to get an Xp1700 or higher cpu. And I would like to get a nice quality heatsink and quiet fan. I'm not going to overclock it at all. I just want a nice quiet fan, that performs well under normal use. Please give me your suggestions.

I would suggest an AX-7 or SLK800 with a Smart Fan II. Although the fan CAN get loud, you can set it to where it will only get louder as you use your computer more. So at idle it will be almost silent...and as you play games you shouldn't hear it over your speakers (i couldn't)...i am going to test my Volcano 9 and tell you...because that might work for you considering you're not going to o/c

I agree with NyTe. The Thermalright SLK800 and AX7 are quality heatsinks.
Thermaltake's SmartFan II is a great fan with the potential for overclocking in the future if you need it. If you wan't the SmartFan II to be relatively quiet, I suggest that you use the little rheostat that is provided with teh fan to control the speed/noise manually as you see fit.

However, if you're definitely not going to be overclocking, you can save yourself some $$$ by buying a generic 40-60cfm 80mm fan. They will work half decent if your not going to overclock.

Back