• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick question...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

charmapsyche

...hopefully, I know this has probably been asked for before, but what's the way to convert AMD's clock cycle into the Pentium equivalence?

You know, like the 1.87 GHz --> AMD XP2500
Because, I'm trying to compare, in their terms, a chip at 2.4 and 2.6 to pentium.
Thanks for the help ;)

I think that was the original idea of the PR rating, but I don't know how well that actually compares - I've never looked into it.

The Pr rating is really how well an XP performs against a Willie P4 Amd never updated it from the Willie days and thats why as P4's got better the XP ratings got a lil further out there on the bs scale.

The XP's pr rating scales well with the P4's until you hit about 2.5ghz/2500+, after that, the P4's start taking a jump over the XP's pr rating. However, the A64's pr rating is a bit conservative against the P4's, just like the original XP's were against the williamette's and just like with the williamette's, when the K8's start to reach the end of their product life, and new/upgraded processors from Intel start showing up, the pr system will probably start lagging behind again. Given the current situation with overheating and the increasing difficulty to ramp up clock speeds, this will probably all change, but that won't be for a couple more years most likely.

Oh, to answer the original question, you just have to find a list of the Athlon's and their pr rating and just know that the XP's after 2500+ will start to be less and less competitive as their pr rating would indicate and that the A64's are actually a bit conservative against P4's, unless you compare them to the EE P4's, but those should be compared to the AFX's. I think the easiest thing to do is just go to newegg and look at their Athlon processor list.

66mhz=100mhz more PR. So starting at 1.4ghz(1600+), to 1.46ghz(1700+) to 1.53ghz(1800+) to 1.6ghz(1900+) to 1.67ghz(2000+). That system works for all the tbreds and pallys, but the barton cores realy dont seem to follow a patern lol.

Back