• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boomer0909

I have a new build coming up and want to give my current set up to my mother to replace her ancient PC.

I currently have a 120 GB SSD running my OS and everyday programs and a 256 GB SSD with remaining programs and certain things. I then have 4 750 GB HDD's running back-ups and general storage.

I would like to give my mom the 120 GB SSD with a clean install of Windows 7 and then one of the HDDs for any other storage she might need. I understand this is probably over kill for her but the 120 GB filled up pretty fast for me and I don't want her to have any problems.

So my question is this:

What do I have to do to most efficiently move my OS and other crap from the 120 to the 256 SSD?

Should I then format the 120 SSD to wipe it clean for the windows 7 install?

I currently run Windows 8. I am not about to give that to her because she would lose her mind trying to figure that out.

Thanks, I guess it wasn't such a quick question after all.

Imaging program like Acronis.. there may be free ones.. just make sure it can do SSD's properly (keeps alignment).

Yep, secure erase the drive, then do a fresh OS install. Install chipset drivers, GPU drivers, reboot, run WEI and your SSD is setup properly in W7.

looks like there is a program in windows 7 to do it. I will check to see if it is in 8 as well. Thanks.

The W7 backup and restore is quite limited.. it may work, but last I recall, you needed to drop the image on the same sized drive or something.. that could have changed though... try it. Partition on of your HDD's and drop the image there and see if it works!

Back