• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 270x downclocking to prevent overheating

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It, as it says, keeps the voltage on the 3D load voltage. There are no risks.

I noticed this new thing that after starting my comp if i run msi combustor its shows me 200+ frames and the temp goes 100c and after some time the clock goes to 450mhz and the frames become 150+ and the temp 70+c. What is this now???

I noticed this new thing that after starting my comp if i run msi combustor its shows me 200+ frames and the temp goes 100c and after some time the clock goes to 450mhz and the frames become 150+ and the temp 70+c. What is this now???

Sounds like throttling.

Is the GPU full of dust or something?

That would be throttling because of temperatures. ;)

Check you card for dust, grab a can of compressed air and blow it out.

Also, ensure you have proper case airflow

+12v chaning in gpu z

i posted many problems about my gpu xfx r9 270x.
1) High temparatures
2) Downclocking to 450mhz
This is the final one. The 12v in GPU Z shows me 11.5 in idle and goes 10.9-10.9 on load. Is this ok??
I had a intel DH61WW mobo and a new WD green 1 tb hdd and installed new win 7. The problem was in some games sometimes a sound gets repeated like 10 times and then becomes ok and in some games the sound comes late and before the sound comes the screen freezes for about 0.1 sec. So i thought it was the hdd. So i went for a replacement of the hdd and they replaced me after 1 week. Then i installed win 7 again. The problem was not actually fixed but the sound came faster than before but still not on the actual moment. So i thought it would be ram. So i ran memtest but there was no error found. Then i replaced my mobo with a gigabyte GA-H61M-S1 and installed win 7 again. After installing i played watch dogs for 1 hrs and then paused the game and went to the bathroom and when i came back the sceen was scarmbled and nothing was working. So i reseted my pc and started msi combustor and after clicking the benchmark loaded and the after a fraction of a sec the comp crashed and from then on after starting any game the comp crashes but it doesnt crash if i dont start any game. Some times the combuster or game runs but eventually crashes after some time. If there is something i can do from my side then pls tell me and if there isnt then i should go for rma.

It sounds like your system isn't stable. High temps can be from a poor case airflow or a poorly mounted/defective gpu heatsink or both.

Crashing as soon as you load a game could be a bad gpu, a poorly mounted gpu heatsink or an insufficient power supply.

Low 12v reading could be bad software, a bad sensor, or again an insufficient or poorly designed power supply.

Kombustor is terrible for doing anything but testing cooling or killing cards. It is an awful metric for game stability and puts unreasonable stress on the cards power delivery.

If I were having those symptoms I would start by taking the side of the case off and blowing a house fan into it. That checks case airflow. I would then check that the fan is spinning on the gpu. If you are comfortable with it you can change the thermal paste and remount the cooler to see if it helps. Also let us know what the power supply brand model and specs are when you pull the side off.

It sounds like your system isn't stable. High temps can be from a poor case airflow or a poorly mounted/defective gpu heatsink or both.

Crashing as soon as you load a game could be a bad gpu, a poorly mounted gpu heatsink or an insufficient power supply.

Low 12v reading could be bad software, a bad sensor, or again an insufficient or poorly designed power supply.

Kombustor is terrible for doing anything but testing cooling or killing cards. It is an awful metric for game stability and puts unreasonable stress on the cards power delivery.

If I were having those symptoms I would start by taking the side of the case off and blowing a house fan into it. That checks case airflow. I would then check that the fan is spinning on the gpu. If you are comfortable with it you can change the thermal paste and remount the cooler to see if it helps. Also let us know what the power supply brand model and specs are when you pull the side off.

Should i open both the side panels and blow the fan and how to check case airflow after that?? I actually keeps one of the side panel open all the time. The gpu fans are running. How to change the therml paste of the gpu??? I never did that before and the card is 2 months old. Wouldnt the warranty of the card be voided if i opened the card and applied the paste?? I have 600w E Spectrum psu.

Ive never heard of that psu brand before, according to the website found at http://www.e-spectrum.in/products/power-supply/es-psu-x600.html it is an old design power supply that has a large portion of its rating set aside for 5v rail, leaving only 336w on the 12v rail, which is what the vast majority of modern computers use for power. The cpu and gpu both use 12v, and they represent most of your computers power usage. That being said, if it is actually capable of its listed 336w, that should be enough to power an intel h61 based system and a 270x.

As for airflow, you just want to have a fan pointing in there while trying to play a game or run a synthetic test like unigine heaven/valley or 3dmark.

When you say the gpu is hot, how hot is it getting? They can run quite warm, and it isnt uncommon to see them hit 80-85 degrees celcius under load. If you dont know how to change the thermal paste i wouldnt worry about doing it, it may void your warranty and you dont want to do that if you can avoid it.

Without knowing anything else about your system, i would suspect its that power supply, but you can try downclocking the card, or unplugging extra hard drives and peripherals to reduce power draw if there are any.

Ive never heard of that psu brand before, according to the website found at http://www.e-spectrum.in/products/power-supply/es-psu-x600.html it is an old design power supply that has a large portion of its rating set aside for 5v rail, leaving only 336w on the 12v rail, which is what the vast majority of modern computers use for power. The cpu and gpu both use 12v, and they represent most of your computers power usage. That being said, if it is actually capable of its listed 336w, that should be enough to power an intel h61 based system and a 270x.

As for airflow, you just want to have a fan pointing in there while trying to play a game or run a synthetic test like unigine heaven/valley or 3dmark.

When you say the gpu is hot, how hot is it getting? They can run quite warm, and it isnt uncommon to see them hit 80-85 degrees celcius under load. If you dont know how to change the thermal paste i wouldnt worry about doing it, it may void your warranty and you dont want to do that if you can avoid it.

Without knowing anything else about your system, i would suspect its that power supply, but you can try downclocking the card, or unplugging extra hard drives and peripherals to reduce power draw if there are any.

when my comp start and start the 1st game or kombustor the clock runs at 1050mhz and temps are 100-102c and after some time the clock goes to 450mhz and temps to 70c. This was happening for 6-7 days and now after installing the new mobo the comp ran watch dogs for 1 hr and the rest i told u in my 1st post.

Merged duplicate threads...

As I mentioned in your other thread, and now here, 102c is too hot. That is the first problem.

As supertrucker mentioned you need to read voltage with a multi-meter. Software is notoriously off. If you were getting actually getting 10v, I don't think the pc would be running as that is way out of spec.

Last edited:
Why did we create another thread on the same subject?

As I mentioned in your other thread , 102c is too hot. That is the first problem.

Here i posted about the volts. I asked that if the volts i mentioned are ok or not?

True. But you are asking it in regards to your gpu problem. You also posted it in the amd gpu section. It's all about your gpu so I merged the threads.

See my edit in the previous post. Get your temps in order first, then let's worry about the psu.

Okay...

So 102c is the GPU temps?

Dude....
Can we get a pic or 2 of the GPU and the inside of the case?
It's either full of dust, or has no airflow. Perhaps something is in the GPU fan's way.

I downclocked the card to 575mhz(core) and 700mhz(memory) and then try to run combuster. This time the card ran for 10 secs and temps were 94c but after 10sec it crashed.

Furmark is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy overkill.

Like EarthDog said, unigine heaven is more realistic.

I will also ask again, does the GPU have enough airflow going to it?
Is the GPU full of dust? Those are the only reasons besides a dead fan that would cause a GPU to overheat like that.

please post a photo of the opend system.

the throttling within temperatures below 80°C seems to be caused by low power. the mentioned psu i cannot say, if it is scrap or not, but normally i would say, to be sure to get quallity for yor money i would have a look to bequiet straight power e9 series. but to give a detailed hint for it, we have to know your complete setup.

the thing will be, if i read a bord with h61 chipset, than i could imagine that your cpu is not really highend.

give us a little more details.

Back