• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 390 or gtx 1070

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I bought a non-reference card. Went with the Gigabyte G1 Gaming series.

I'm not a fan of Gigabyte, but somewhat better-quality capacitors and cooler mosfets always is a good thing. As long as you have good airflow and the card runs cool under high load, the cooler should probably be silent enough; but the 3 fans on classic WF3 could be very, very loud. Personally, I prefer 2-fan solutions with larger fans instead.

I'm not a fan of Gigabyte, but somewhat better-quality capacitors and cooler mosfets always is a good thing. As long as you have good airflow and the card runs cool under high load, the cooler should probably be silent enough; but the 3 fans on classic WF3 could be very, very loud. Personally, I prefer 2-fan solutions with larger fans instead.

I'm not too worried about the noise, I use a headset that blocks out all noise. I just want to make sure it cools good. And honestly, there's not many choices right now as every brand card is sold out at every store so I got what I could!

Does the 1070 out-perform the 7970 Crossfire setup noticeably?

My cfx set up scored about 15k in 3d mark with a mild over clocked 4770k and over clocked cards. The sli setup stock with with a stock 6600k scored 20k in the same benchmark. I'm curious to see how far I can really push it before I got with water cooling

Ps. I'm also running bf4 at about 190fps in 1080 versus about 90-100 with the 7970s

My cfx set up scored about 15k in 3d mark with a mild over clocked 4770k and over clocked cards. The sli setup stock with with a stock 6600k scored 20k in the same benchmark. I'm curious to see how far I can really push it before I got with water cooling

Ps. I'm also running bf4 at about 190fps in 1080 versus about 90-100 with the 7970s

Your saying your running stock i5 6600k however your signature is 4.0GHz.

That's pretty impressive for a single card solution. Are those results w/your 1070 overclocked or at stock?

Your saying your running stock i5 6600k however your signature is 4.0GHz.

Im aware of what my sig says, I brought everything down to stock to see a base line score

That's pretty impressive for a single card solution. Are those results w/your 1070 overclocked or at stock?

thats a double card setup in sli with a non hb bridge, single card was hovering around 14 to 15k mark

which 3dmark? Fire Strike? Which one? Performance?

There about. I'm curious to know how much of a performance difference an i7 with ht mattered compared to an i5 on that score though.
Depends on...
which 3dmark? Fire Strike? Which one? Performance?
It does respond to cores and threads, most any of them. How much depends on which 3DM and which one within the latest as to how much it responds.

Depends on...It does respond to cores and threads, most any of them. How much depends on which 3DM and which one within the latest as to how much it responds.

Thought I replied to that, sorry. Just regular 3d mark firestrike the demo version

Back