• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator/loop component selection for 5960x OC in a Fractal R4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

StrategyFreak

Registered
Hey forum members,

I'm putting together a 5960x build inside a Fractal R4, and I was wondering how many radiators I'd need if I'm planning on overclocking the processor to 4.6-4.7 GHZ range, and I'm willing to bump the voltage up a little higher than usual for these overclocks in order to achieve this.

As for parts, I currently have an Apogee XT waterblock, 2x 220 mm rads, and a MCP-655 pump, as well as a set of Gentle Typhoons I've been saving for this occasion lol. Since I was only planning on watercooling the processor, I'm wondering if it's possible to run an overclocked 5960x with just 1 220 mm rad instead of two, or maybe with a 120 mm rad added on. That would free up the other rad for other purposes, but I want to be conservative with this and I'd definitely include it if its necessary to get the thermal headroom necessary to overclock this beast of a processor.

Thanks!

How thick are the rads and are you planning on placing it up top or in the front?

What radiators as you using exactly I'm not familiar with any 220mm rads?

Sorry I missed this thread earlier.

Sorry, I meant 240x120mm rads (radiators for 120mm fans). For this loop, I've got the Swiftech MCR 240mm radiator and an XSPC 240 mm rad. Tubing is 1/2 inch ID.

Was wondering if this was overkill for 5960x overclocking. I'd like some thermal headroom, but maybe just having a 240 and 120 mm rad might be enough for that, allowing me to save the 240 mm rad for another build.

Back