• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

RAID advise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTengineer

Hey guys,

I am planning on getting 2 of these in about a month in addition to my current drive (which is an older 120Gig).
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=512211

I have read the stickies on RAID and the definitions but I am still not sure what is best for me. I use my computer for work and it is very data sensitive, I cannot afford to lose my work. Therefore I suppose RAID0 is out of the question.

Is there any way I could make use of my old hard drive in conjunction with these 2 new seagates to achieve some kind of redundancy and still improve performance?

Another thing that is complicating my decision is that I am running Linux and I don't think it supports SATA RAID. Instead it requires the use of software RAID. Can someone tell me if this will have a great effect on performance as compared to hardware RAID? I am not sure it would even be worth it if it means the RAID array will use up my CPU and slow down my machine. CPU speeds are more important to me than hard drive access.

Also can someone share any link with benchmarks between different RAIDs?

Thanks and sorry for the long ramble

Back