• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram not recognized with new amd 8350 cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Of the few that I looked at Mr T only one specified the brand of ram which was Corsair. Wasn't it the M5A97 board you had a trace for the ram go bad on you Trents?

What has me puzzled now is previously you were running the 2x4g sticks and it was showing 8 g usable correct? When you have Cpu-Z open does it show the ram in Dual or Single Channel mode?

Try putting the stock heatsink on just to see if anything changes.

I'll also add I know the issue has been repeated with 2 Cpu's but can you check both for bent or broken pins?

I did inspect pins last night when I swapped the CPU's.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this: maybe give it a try

1.)Update BIOS to newest version. Which you have.
3.)Install only 1 dimm into the slot that the mobo manual recommends for running with 1 dimm
4.)Clear CMOS
5.)Boot up, enter BIOS and select D.O.C.P. for the Ai Overclock Tuner setting. If your memory doesn't have a D.O.C.P. profile, set voltage and timings to manufacturer specs.
6.)Save and exit BIOS
7.)Boot system normally, check that 4GB (or whatever the single dimm value is) is available.
8.)Shut down, install 2nd module in slot as recommended by mobo manual
9.)Startup, enter bios, check mobo recognizes 8GB in Main->System Information
10.)Restart, make sure Windows has 8GB available.
11.)Shut down. Install 2 remaining DIMM's in the other 2 slots.
12.)Startup, enter bios, check mobo recognizes 16GB in Main->System Information
13.)Restart, make sure Windows has ~16GB available. (Mine had 15.5GB probably because windows allocated some to hardware)\
14.)Run MemTest or something equivalent.

It will show 4gb in 1 slot, I will try this when I get home, I will also check what CUP-Z says. I know it shows the memory in each slot but I will post pictures.

Bullshiz,

I would also remove the CPU again and carefully inspect the socket with good lighting. Make sure something has not fallen into a CPU pin socket like a flake of TIM that could be acting like an insulator.

While/if you're looking into the socket might be a good time for a good dose of compressed air -if you have any. If it is a flake of dried time the air could dislodge it. If you're going to have the thing apart anyway, might as well cover all the simple stuff

image2.JPG image1.JPG

I did use air in the socket and inspected for anything abnormal.

I tried the test that Mandrake had suggested. It recongnized 4gb all usable. But 8 gb (2x4gb) shows (4gb usable). I'll try the other set as well with the same method.

So new development- The recommended ram slots won't work together. Slots are 1(black) 2(blue) 3(black) 4(blue). the book says 2 sticks should be used in the blue slots (2 and 4). Which is how I had the original build and it worked fine. I put sticks in slots 1(black) and 2(blue) and it registered all 8gb. But adding 1 stick or both other sticks in any 3 or 4 slot wont increase the ram, will only read 16 or 12gb with 8gb usable.

OK. That helps out greatly.......for diagnosis anyway.
Unfortunately, that is irreparable. The board is shot.

I know you have tried with a different cpu, but just for the sake of double checking make sure you have all of the pins. I had this EXACT issue (right down to the latest post about the ram slots) and when I closely inspected the cpu it was missing a pin. I will be the first to admit that I was abusing the chip and forcing it in and such, but (however unlikely) you will want to make sure that you arent missing a pin on both chips. As a matter of fact if you wouldnt mind posting a pic I would like to see the cpu(s). Once again just as a matter of curiosity mostly, not so much that I have a whole lot to offer with pic inspection :)

The fact that all the system registers all the ram says that all 4 slots are firing.

The fact that all the system registers all the ram says that all 4 slots are firing.
Not necessarily. It means the slot can read the SPD on the ram. That takes like 2 pins in the ram slot to achieve. It doesn't mean that the slot is good. There are 200+ other pins that need to work also. Doesn't mean it is even the slot that's the problem.

Not necessarily. It means the slot can read the SPD on the ram. That takes like 2 pins in the ram slot to achieve. It doesn't mean that the slot is good. There are 200+ other pins that need to work also. Doesn't mean it is even the slot that's the problem.

Did i mention that they work individually? cause they do. if i use 1 stick i can boot from each... So the sockets arent dead.

Did i mention that they work individually? cause they do. if i use 1 stick i can boot from each... So the sockets arent dead.
K......
So you're intending on just using 1 stick then?, cause it doesn't make the board any less irreparable.

if he can populate slots 3 and 4 and get all ram recognized does this make a difference to the diagnosis? What I mean is that I would think that if slots 1 and 2 showed the full amount of ram, then 3 and 4 might as well. That would prove all the slots are in working order and simply dont want to function in dual channel mode... and that would lead me to take another look at that cpu (yeah I know Im harping on the cpu, I dont mean to). I suppose it doesnt rule out a broken trace either.

Meh. Ive bought new boards for less reason :) New mobo day is a happy day (usually)! I suggest one that will focus the heat of that FX into lazers

I contacted newegg and they are willing to let me return the fx 8350 processor and the ram. If i have to do a motherboard install I'd like to start from scratch. I'll prob get and i7 4790k, i just really didnt want to do a full build right now. I was hoping to get away with just throwing the new processor in the current system and buying myself another year or 2.

I'll ship it out on Monday, unless someone finds a miracle solution before then...

I contacted newegg and they are willing to let me return the fx 8350 processor and the ram. If i have to do a motherboard install I'd like to start from scratch. I'll prob get and i7 4790k, i just really didnt want to do a full build right now. I was hoping to get away with just throwing the new processor in the current system and buying myself another year or 2.

I'll ship it out on Monday, unless someone finds a miracle solution before then...
I'm out of ideas.

I don't know the difference between the two, I'm sure either will fit the bill though.

Back