• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reformatting HD- XP Home

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quintr

Registered
I am trying to reformatt my HD. XPSP1 disk. Tried to boot from CD. When hit "any key" to boot from CD, the computer justs boots up as normal. Went into My Computer and hit format C drive. Prompt says it will not allow formatting because verstion of XP on HD is newer than that of CD. What do I do to stop this nonsense?:confused:

Is this a retail / OEM XP Home SP1 disk that you purchased from a store, or is it a slipstreamed XP disk w/ SP1? Or is this a disk that came w/ an OEM PC (Dell, HP, etc.), and have you used this disk to install XP in the past? Also listing your system specs might be helpful.

It is an OEM disk bought from Newegg. MB is an ABIT IT7-Max2. I have used the disk to reformat the same HD in the past. What does the ps2 keyboard have to do with it? I am using a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse. Tried a ps2 board but same result.

So when you see the "Press any key to boot from CD" message, and tap the spacebar repeatedly, nothing happens - before the last of the five progress indicator dots (before booting to the HDD)?

I got it. It was the keyboard. When I first tried the ps2 keyboard, I accidentally plugged it into the mouse port. Duh! Anyway, I am reinstalling now. What is the deal with the keyboard? Is there a conflict of sorts with the usb wireless board/mouse? Thanks

What is the deal with the keyboard? Is there a conflict of sorts with the usb wireless board/mouse? Thanks
I've never experienced any sort of "conflict" when installing XP using a wireless USB KB (more specifically a Logitech KB). More often than not though when having a wireless USB (or even a wired USB) KB installed, I've had to hit the spacebar more than just once or twice in order to boot from the install disk. So you may not necessarily have an issue with your KB, just that you need to hit the spacebar repeatedly when connected to a USB hub.

I have seen problems with USB (wired and wireless) as well as some of the fancier keyboards with multiple functions. I like to keep a very basic PS2 around just for installing and working with before an OS is installed just in case.

Is this only an issue with older bios'? Because i have a NForce4 board (kinda old now) and there are no issues with installing or entering bios with wired or wireless usb, although on some, quite a bit older, systems i have had to use a ps2 to even get the bios to recognize it.

Back