• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Removing Amd IHS and refitting with as5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Woody29

Hi all,
Just wonder has anyone removed IHS from the A64 or Opteron cleaned of amd standard thermal paste and refit IHS with AS5?

If yes what did you use to refit the IHS to Cpu? what is best to use, to refit Ihs to cpu again.

Cos I've been thinking about removing my ihs on my opty but refiting again but withAs5 under the hood.
This way there's no worries about crushed or chipping core and also about making good contact with heatsink and with As5 between core and Ihs you would get better results for sure without any extra risk other than the removal bit.

Theres been a couple that have done it that way. I think they just put the AS5 on there then put the heatsink right ontop of that. Don't know how really to hold it down maybe some Superglue or something around the edges of the IHS to hold it back to the CPU but if you do that I wouldn't try removing it again.

I just run without a IHS but of course if you feel safer that way I don't blame ya .

I think I read somewhere someone did this but they didnt use superglue or anything. Im pretty sure they just put it back ontop of it and the heatsink held it down. Not totaly sure how safe this is as the weight of the sink might make the ihs slip and move or something. I could be wrong and just read the post incorrectly but this is what I seem to remember.

deathman20 said:
Theres been a couple that have done it that way. I think they just put the AS5 on there then put the heatsink right ontop of that. Don't know how really to hold it down maybe some Superglue or something around the edges of the IHS to hold it back to the CPU but if you do that I wouldn't try removing it again.

I just run without a IHS but of course if you feel safer that way I don't blame ya .

I see your're using xp120 too did you have to any problems with contact with the core without the IHS?
I was think to use builders siicone (waterbase version) a thin line all the way round leaving a small gap, worried about the Ihs sliding.

None, notta, zip.

It makes perfect contact as you can see with my temps.

Well I don't remember the thread but yes someone did exactly this you're talking about and secured the ihs with black silicone (which he said is the exact same thing AMD uses).He used a small amount and wiped it off and then it was as brand new...
And yes he did have a drop in temps but I don't remember in what scale..

This is only beneficial if your temps are unusually high. This was the case for my FX-57 so I remmoved the IHS and discovered the TIM was hardened. To reattach, add a small amount of as5 and put a small dap of silicone on each corner of the chip. You need to hold it very tight when curing or there will not be good contact, the best method is to attach a HS or waterblock firmly and run the CPU or let it sit overnight. I gained 9C, but in most cases a few C is all you will see.

Eldonko said:
This is only beneficial if your temps are unusually high. This was the case for my FX-57 so I remmoved the IHS and discovered the TIM was hardened. To reattach, add a small amount of as5 and put a small dap of silicone on each corner of the chip. You need to hold it very tight when curing or there will not be good contact, the best method is to attach a HS or waterblock firmly and run the CPU or let it sit overnight. I gained 9C, but in most cases a few C is all you will see.

Hi, I'm not really getting high temps, but if doing this will drop my temps I think it will be a worth it, even buy 3 to 5 degrees.
Hopefully will give some head room to sqeeze more out of the proc.
What I was thinking as silicone takes a while to cure I'd use some weights on the cpu for a few hours while the silicone cures.

Woody29 said:
Hi, I'm not really getting high temps, but if doing this will drop my temps I think it will be a worth it, even buy 3 to 5 degrees.
Hopefully will give some head room to sqeeze more out of the proc.
What I was thinking as silicone takes a while to cure I'd use some weights on the cpu for a few hours while the silicone cures.

Using some weight really helps but you must take care of the pins... you must be careful not to bent the pins of course...

yeah I'd use silicone and reattach it while sitting in the mobo using a screw down block of some sort while It sets up for 24 hours

well, all done back just fired up and running now

Just been testing abit so far I've got 2celcius drop in temps on idle from 28 to 26 and it keeps fluctuating 25/26.
So far considering the as5 haas not settled yet it's worth while doing this.

Last edited:
Also

I'm using a cm stacker modded 120mm fan on the side I had not put that back on then, well been back on for a little while temps now read 25-idle 3 degree drop so far, not bad for 1 hour work & zero cost.

Back