• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Repairing a PSU (expiermentation thread) with pictures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathhorse

So i got a free computer with a power supply that was bad. Ultra 500watt modular silver cables and chrome looking. Pretty cheap looking PSU that is fried i opened it up and found 2 bad caps and a nasty looking resistor. 2 large caps as well that looked like they leaked. Ill post some pics that i took already soon. My question for you guys is has anyone actually repaired a psu? And if repaired would the psu even be safe to use? The current mobo and such is all cheap stuff so i dont mind if it frys it all.

ECS socket 478 2.6 celeron really nice cooler though.
512mb pc2700
80gb hdd

this is the psu http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=874746&CatId=1079

if the warranty sticker didnt look screwy i may have turned in for the lifetime but the psu looks like someone messed with it.

2d3d16144152852.jpg 6b4562144152869.jpg 8e8ead144152881.jpg 42d146144152908.jpg 86b1c2144152930.jpg 41e57b144152952.jpg

Last edited:
i wouldn't touch a fried power supply. even if the power supply is dead or fried, there is still enough wattage left to kill you. i would junk it. Diablotek has nice PSU's for cheap.

If you really want to do it, just for the fun of it, OklahomaWolf has probably torn apart and rebuild more PSUs then anyone cares to count. His reviews are over at Jonnyguru.com, the teardown section might help you.

now with pictures it does not look as bad as it sounds, if the first pic shows the resister i dont see anything actually wrong with it, just some goop on it, mabey from leaking cap?.
but i would still wonder why it collapsed so badly. say you replace all the caps, cleaned any electrolyte leaks, and the caps are having to work extra hard, then next pop of them it might start a small fire.
that just leaves, whatever comp you put it in, you hope the comp never has a problem, or you would have to mentally back blame the psu for everything, and not know untill you remove it to test with another one.
the not knowing alone , would be a pain, even if you voltmetered . scoped ,and tested it, you would always know that one day before, it had collaped on itself.
On the other hand if you modded it , you could overdo the caps :) but there is usually not enough room for that, but who says it has to fit in the same package :)

Last edited:
oh yeah it becomes a forever what if..... but it still would be super neat to say "I repaired this PSU." I need to upload another pic of 2 bad caps right in the middle of this bad boy.

It's an ultra PSU.... I wouldn't waste my time on it... however, I'm looking into repairing a DELL PSU built by Delta.... burnt PCB.... leaking caps everywhere... I'll just chuck it...

Looks like just bad caps to me.
Resistors either burn to a crisp or work fine, generally speaking.

so the resistor is still good just that pesky cap. THe only problem i see now it that these large leaky caps may cost more then a basic psu i can find around 12dollars shipped.

Yeah Sorry,
You will have to check the original caps with a (MM) measuring device to make certain they are what you need. I was half awake when I posted, I found them as I'm currently trying to fix several PSU. I guess I'll post them up here shortly.......

Here's a better link with more choices for you, you will need to exclude other countries if you plan on getting them this month..............
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R...apacitor+3300uF+16V&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Back