• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replace Network Adapter in XPS 8300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n8dogg59

Registered
I need to replace the network adapter in my Dell XPS 8300 and I've never done this before so wanted to just check with you guys first. I'd like to eventually build my own pc but the money isn't there right now. I plan on buying the TP-Link Gigabyte PCI Express Network Adapter. Can I literally just swap out the current one and should be ready to go right away after installing the driver for the new one? Anything I need to know before doing this?

I'm guessing that your Dell has the network adapter built into the motherboard so you wouldn't take the old one out, but yes it should be as simple as installing the new card and the drivers for it.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Would I need to somehow disable the current network adapter when I install the new one?

Never changed anything before in the BIOS so have some very elementary questions for you. When I go into the BIOS it looks like I can only either enable or disable certain things. The only thing I found to disable that looked like it might be what I was looking for is "Onboard LAN Controller". Is that what I would need to disable?

Never changed anything before in the BIOS so have some very elementary questions for you. When I go into the BIOS it looks like I can only either enable or disable certain things. The only thing I found to disable that looked like it might be what I was looking for is "Onboard LAN Controller". Is that what I would need to disable?
Yes the onboard Lan controller. You may not have to disable it but, you're not going to hurt anything if you do.

Back