• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacement for my gaming PC, opinions on my choices?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

Gonna be using this for gaming with Minecraft, Steam titles such as Darksiders 2, Assassin's Creed 1 & 2, Spider Man: Web of Shadows, and some console emulators. Might be doing video editing down the road.

CPU: Athlon X4 860K Quad Core 3.7GHz FM2+ 95W

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H FM2+/FM2 AMD A88X

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800)

GPU: MSi GTX 750 1GB OC Edition

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB

PSU: EVGA 500-B 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 Black ATX Mid Tower

SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB SATA 3 Internal Solid State Drive

So is this good? HDD, GPU, RAM, and PSU are being carried over from my last build. I also am wondering if I should drop the SSD and try to get a new HDMI monitor? My current monitor is an old VGA monitor (the kind that has that box on the back of it no less!) and can only go up to 1280x1024. If anyone can suggest a better system than this that can be squeezed out of $285 then please let me know!

For 285$, youre on a tight budget. Id severely recommend just getting a console, xbox 1 perhaps. Im pretty sure you can play all those games on xbone. Video editing? Not on that rig, sorry.

CPU, mobo, ssd, and case...

30$ over budget. Can remove or get the cheaper SSD if desired.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WF4DRB

Reasons ->

- ALL programs you mentioned will perform much better on intel. The athlon is decent if you need quad core performance, but the intel will absolutely destroy it in most gaming scenarios. Obviously this means you couldnt play FC4 though (without a hack anyway).
- kept motherboard blank. There are many options in both z87 and z97 packages. You can get a z87-A for 71$, you can get an z97 extreme3 for 77$. Neither are enthusiast class performers, but both will handle a pentium or eventual upgrade with overclocking relatively easily. Be sure and check, but most z87 motherboards are able to be flashed to be compatible with up to devils canyon. Not a bad option to get a higher tier board for a lower cost.
- MUCH faster SSD. Its a vast improvement over the kingston crap.
- rosewill case is on par with the one you picked, similar aesthetics, and is half the cost. A no brainer honestly.
- hyper 212 evo will give you some overclocking head room.

As you mentioned, I would personally recommend you skip the SSD at this time and get a better monitor tbh. Id even say save some serious cash and buy a used monitor.

I3 is kind of a lame duck imo. It's so close to the i5 in price, but so much more expensive than the pentium. You also can't overclock it; so in single threaded games, an overclocked pentium will smoke it.

Well I don't plan on overclocking, the reason being I fried my fair share of computers and don't really like touching it anymore. If I went with the Pentium, kept the SSD off of the list, bumped the motherboard up ot the cheapest one I can find that supports SLI, and bought a second GTX 750 would that help anything?

So I took the advice and bumped up to an i5. Getting a case from my buddy. Ignore everything besides the mobo and CPU as far as adding to the price, the other stuff is all being carried over, just wanted to get a full list of everything that would be in the build at this point: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nfjHmG

Back