• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reset problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluedude2288

I am using windows xp, and for no reason my computer likes to restart, it just cuts power and comes back on, when it comes back on it doesn't detect the d:\ drive, this is the drive with windows xp on it that i always use, what is wrong

Usual three suspects are PSUs, memory and heat, not necessarily in that order, although with random reboots I almost always suspect the PSU first.

stool said:
Usual three suspects are PSUs, memory and heat, not necessarily in that order, although with random reboots I almost always suspect the PSU first.

agreed.. do you have another PSU you could swap into that machine?

actually, this is my second psu, my first one worked fine at first, then it started whining really loud when the processor was working on a load, so i replaced it with one from compusa which is the one i have in there now, but i don't have any others, the only one i have is 100watts, not enough to run my pc

well this new one could be bad, or not putting out enough voltage on your lines... however some other things to ask you would be:

- has this been happening ever since you built it?

- or did i start after putting in a certain component?

- have you tried full format and reinstall of XP?

- latest bios flash

- make sure your board is seated properly, it could be touching the metal of your case somewhere and shorting out...

- are you overclocked? if so go back to stock speeds..

- does this only happen while doing a certain activity? aka, games, or listening to music, etc etc...

- hows your cooling? try setting a large case fan blowing into your case...

try those things and get back to me..

John

this didn't start when i built it, but a few months later, no, no certain part started this, yes i have full formated and reinstalled windows many time, i have the latest bios(just flashed it), yep its seated properly, not overclocked, nope it happens at random, but now it has started to stop doing it so frequently, my case side is open, i have a 7200 rpm fan on it the temp is about 100 degrees ferinheit, but one other question, do you think 300 watts in enough for my system?

well if you're at stock with that P4.. it SHOULD be but you never know... the more i think about it and look at the problem, it seems as though you do indeed have either a bad power supply, or a bad mobo.. or maybe a bad vid card.

one thing i just remembered i cant remember where i read this exactly i'll have to go look, but XP sometimes can be set to not dislplay critical error messages, and instead just resets the entire system if you get one... it may be doing this to you, i've seen it before.. there's an option somewhere that you can tell it not to reset and just let you decide what to do when it errors.. make sure thats checked..

i always thought it was my mobo, because i went through 2 psus with it, i'm almost certain it isn't my video card because its brand new, and it just doesn't seem like thats it, nor do i think its xp, because the way it resets looks like a hardware problem, because after it resets it can't read the d drive, which is the drive that is always working cuz it has windows on it, my mobo is a cheap one, ECS Elite Group P4S5A
Thanks

unplug some peripherals like soundcard and NIC, load the PC .. if it works, then your PSU not supplying enough juice ... if it doesn't, then i'm outta here :) ...

i hav this prob on my fren's comp b4...i plugged the ram into the other slots..and VIOLA..solves the freaking problem

hm.. i thought he said he checked his ram, perhaps that was another thread...

indeed reseat your RAM if you haven't and check it with MEMTEST86 (do a google search for a link i'm too lazy) :)

thanks for all the help, i have it resolved now, it turns out it wan't supplying enough juice, i unplugged my cold cathrode, and the relay for the second psu, and its working fine now

bluedude2288 said:
thanks for all the help, i have it resolved now, it turns out it wan't supplying enough juice, i unplugged my cold cathrode, and the relay for the second psu, and its working fine now

LOL one of the first things we suggested :D oh well glad you figured it out!

John

Back