• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resident Evil 4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
I finally beat it, and I must say it's been a long, long time since a game has impressed me in the way that this one has.

The graphics are most excellent, as is the story. The change of perspective over other Resident Evil games is welcome and most refreshing. The fact that you can actually BUY weapons and upgrades to your existing equipment is fantastic, too. I also just love the way the Merchant opens his coat, full of weapons and ammo like he's selling watches in Battery Park. He's better equiped than the Canadian military! :D

The story is good and captivating if a bit cliche, even bringing back some of the characters from previous Resident Evil games to help or hinder you in your quest to save the President's daughter. A few new faces show up as well.

The aiming system has changed as well. Not only does your weapon no longer lock onto enemies, but you can select where to hit them. Shoot them in the face, or in the arms to make them drop weapons. Blow their leg off and kick them when they drop. Grab a sniper rifle and take them down before they see you. The range of weaponry you have at your disposal is phenominal. From pistols to automatics. Shotguns to rifles and explosives. But it all costs money (and yes, you can shoot the Merchant. No, you can't take his inventory when you do :p). You get money by killing villagers, finding treasures, and selling valuables that you find to the Merchant (what he does with them, I don't know). You can also take your valuables and combine some, making even MORE valuable things to sell.

The creatures you fight are very well done, too. Frightening and eerie. Sure, you've got your basic villagers, your chainsaw-whelding maniacs and things like that, but there are also huge bosses, invisible bugs and grotesque mutations that almost invoke pitty . . . until they try to chew your face off after you've pumped them full of 00 buckshot and still haven't managed to drop them.

There's also an interesting bottle-cap mini-game, to give you a bit of a break from killing monsters. When you get enough, you can trade them in for action figures that make noise! Like little collectables!

After you beat the game once, you unlock the difficulty settings (as expected. AFAIK, that's SOP for all Resident Evil games) along with the Assignment Ada minigame, and The Mercenaries minigame. You also unlock the Infinite Rocket Launcher and the Matilda (which is just a Volkspistol VP70 with a stock kit). You have to beat Assignment Ada to get the Chicago Typewriter (it's a Thompson with infinite ammo) and you have to get 5 stars with every character on every level of The Mercenaries to get the Handcannon (a magnum pistol). I haven't done those yet, but I'm looking forward to starting them soon.

All in all, I would definately recommend this game to anybody, even if you're not really down with the whole Resident Evil series. It's a refreshing change from the static environments of previous titles. If you have a Gamecube, go get this game. If you don't have a Gamecube, they can be had for $99 USD (or $129 CAD), and they're worth every penny, imo.

Check it out. It's great.

Totally agree :)

This is the first game in years that I've actually started to play through again after beating it once. I loved everything about it except one little thing - the inability to reload a weapon while moving.

If anyone is on the fence about buying a Gamecube, Resident Evil 4 alone will make it a worthwhile purchase!

Are the controls the same as the priors. That was one of the down sides for me. Is it full 3d or is it the pre rendered backgrounds. I'm not sure that I am ready to blow the $50 yet.

hibner said:
Are the controls the same as the priors. That was one of the down sides for me. Is it full 3d or is it the pre rendered backgrounds. I'm not sure that I am ready to blow the $50 yet.

The controls are different, and the environment is not pre-rendered like they used to be. It's all 3D, with an over-the-shoulder perspective.

Leon's movements are also very realistic, thanks to the MOCAP technology used. Try jumping out of windows. It's really cool!

edit: Wow! Nice to see you again, pcgirl! :)

My favorite fight so far was fighting IT on the elevator, then fighting him directly after when he chases you down! Magnum came in QUITE handy there. BLAM BLAM BLAM! That magnum is just disgusting. 30 power non upgraded. And very accurate. (not the Broken Butterfly. the second magnum).

Either that, or I liked fighting Krauser. That was a really cool fight =)

The Killer7? Personally, I'd rather keep the Broken Butterfly :)

I did end up buying a Killer7, however. It came in handy w/ Krauser. I sold my Riot Gun and bought a Rocket Launcher for 'It'. I bought the Riot Gun back when I was done. Bit of a waste, but better than dying 40 times.

Lol. Well... I tried to save money through the end game so that I could have some carry over to my new game. Started it last night as well. Its very neat to start the game with all of the equipment I had at the end of my first run through. Not to mention I have 450,000 dollars, and am saving up for the unlimited rocket launcher which is 1,000,000 dollars. Since my gear is all fully upgraded already with the exception of the Killer7 which is already 30+ power, I'm really tearing through the second beginning of the game with ease.

Oh... one thing I wanted to ask. What treasures were you combining to get your more cash? I never even thought to do that.

Butterfly lamps are good to combine. You usually find them where you find insects (invisible or flying). You need the Green Eye, the Red Eye and the Blue Eye. Good luck finding a Blue Eye, they're damn-near impossible to get. You get the eyes by killing the bugs. The gem they drop will be the same color their eyes were at the time you killed them.

There's a mask or two that you can set stones in, too. The unfortunate part is that most of the time you'll end up holding onto something like that for a very, very, very long time before you complete it. Mind you, when you finally do sell it, it'll pro'lly be worth a small fortune

I finally beat Assignment Ada. It was friggin' tough! But still kinda fun. The Chicago Typewriter (It's a Thompson from World War II) is now available to me from the Merchant for 1,000,000 gold. I'd buy that over an infinite Rocket Launcher any day. It'll be more useful in the long run :D

I've also been playing a bit of The Mercenaries. It's tough too, but still very fun! It's just a great big frag-fest! Frag as many as you can to get points before the time runs out. You need 4 stars on each level to get the next mercenary you can use. When you get 4 stars on every level with every mercenary you can buy the Handcannon from the Merchant for 1,000,000 gold. Well worth it, if you can get it's ultimate upgrade, which is infinite ammo ;). Ammo is really scarce for the Handcannon.

Hmmm... i know what you're talking about with the eyes. Lol... although i've NEVER seen a blue one drop from any of the bugs. I have one of the masks already on this second run through, but have yet to find anything that fits into it this early on in the game. Emerald does not fit, and neither does the Spinel.

Now... with the Chicago Typewriter... is that another infinite ammo weapon? Or does it use TMP ammo. If it's like the TMP then I may just not worry about it. I got through the game with only a couple holdups without the TMP. Besides... you get some decent coin from selling all the TMP ammo. =)

This second run through is cake though. Played a total of 40 minutes and am already about to face the lake monster. I have a ton of ammo stored up as I was very conservant on it at the end of game 1, so I'll blast through him no sweat, then it's on to killing mr. El Gigante in short time.

I was never conservitive w/ my ammo in that game. I even went so far as selling my pistol (which was a highly-modified Blacktail) near the end to buy a flak vest and some upgrades to my Striker (which is now fully-upgraded state-of-the-badass-art. 100 shell magazine :D). If I ever do buy another pistol, it'll be a Red9 w/ stock kit. Screw the Matilda. And I'ma pro'lly sell my Killer7 in favour of a Broken Butterfly. :)

I love my Blacktail =) Fully modded out. You should see the way it performs at the beginning of the game the second time around. 2 shots to the chest, one to the head and the head explodes. =) Badass.

The Red9 is definitely a sweet gun. I used it with the stock for a good long while in my first run through until I got to the castle and got my Blacktail. I'm not sure how the power, reload, and capacity compare though since I didnt bother to keep the Red9 into the castle. I can tell you though, that I can unload the Blacktail as fast as I can press the button, and reload is well under a second with a 25 shot magazine. Good gun IMO.

I'll not be bothering with the Matilda either. Dont need it when my Blacktail is just about an automatic anyway with the speed that it fires.

With the Broken Butterfly... am I missing something that makes it better over the Killer7 other than a different look? I still have to upgrade the Killer7, but I know it is an AWESOME gun. I bought it when it was first available, and didnt bother with the Broken Butterfly when it made its appearance.

Having a brain fart... which gun is the striker? Is that the shotgun with more "Spread"?

Yes, the Striker is the shotty w/ more spread. It's a more powerful gun in some ways, but weaker in others. It's definately not as good at range as the Riot Gun, but it's a stronger weapon overall.

The Broken Butterfly, when fully upgraded, owns the Killer7 in just about every respect. Also, the Killer7 doesn't have an ultimate upgrade, whereas the Broken Butterfly's ultimate upgrade is a 50.0 firing power. You can also find it for free in the hedge maze.

Oni said:
The thing I like best about the packaging for this game is that it says on it: "Only for Nintendo Gamecube" ;)

As I mentioned earlier, Capcom is planning to port the game over to the Playstation 2. Expect the title to recieve a massive graphical reduction including polygon count and frame rates :-/ Anyhow, they're also in the process of scripting RE 5, which must be good news.

deception``

9mmCensor said:
Is this on any non-sucky consoles? Like Xbox or PS2?

The Gamecube is not a "sucky" console. Despite it's lack of third-party titles, it possess a number of must-own games, such as Legend of Zelda and Metroid Prime (1 &2), for example.

deception``

Just beat Operation Ada. You were right Oni. TOTALLY worth saving the million dollars for the Chicago Typewriter. .45 Calibur Thompson machine gun with unlimited ammo. Yep. I'll take that over the infinite rocket launcher any day.

As a side note... Krauser was pretty difficult playing as Ada. I really didnt have much ammo, and I actually had to finish him off with my pistol in the end due to lack of ammo.

Man, you should've done what I did:

At the start of the fight, run back to the entrance door. Go through, and equip your rifle. Go back through. Zoom in and fire, then put one in his face. Repeat the process until he dies.

Every time you go out and come back through, he's on the other side of the bridge. Just take him at range and he goes down like a ton of bricks. MUCH easier than trying to own him the other way (I think I died about 20 times before figuring that out :D)

I also selected the special costumes for the characters this time through. Leon is wearing his R.P.D uniform, Ada is wearing the outfit she wore for Assignment Ada, and Ashley is dressed like she's a dancer at a strip joint. Classy :rolleyes: :p.

Last edited:
Back