• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Review: Brilliant Orange UV Water Dye

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

The Introduction

In the past few weeks my knowledge about the WC has greatly increased no thanks to personal experience & OCF. My first loop was just for the learning experience. Nothing special like colored water, just straight up ugly generic greenish clear water and a simple loop. I mentioned to Sent that I wanted Orange looking water and he mentioned that Prestone Dexcool Antifreeze was Orange, so I went to the local Autozone and bought some of that - I also got a few gallons of Distilled Water while I was at it. Making some 90/10 mixes I choose the one that was more accurate and re-did my whole loop, fixing a few kinks I had, changing the pumps location and making the tubingmore manageable. Since I had recently got my first consistent job I had some cash to go for a lighting theme and make the bad *** rig look bad *** :D

The Problem

Well, sadly, there is just about no known Orange UV Dye around. People have tried using Orange Highlighters and squeezing the juices out of them to get a UV Reaction but it usually fails and results in orange fingers for a few days :bday:. Aside from that you were basicly SOL and had to go without Orange UV Dyeness until I found a link somewhere to an eBay type website, http://www.cool-cases-usa.com/ , that sold a product called "Brilliant Orange UV Dye". So I said, eh, wth, I may as well get a bottle or two, $12 is no major loss.

The Product

So I purchased two bottles, 2 12" UV Cathode Tubes, 2 4" UV Cathode Tubes, 2x Orange UV Reactive Zip Ties and some "Red" UV Reactive SATA Cables. I ordered them yesterday morning, they shipped the same day and was at my house when I woke up :shrug: Kudo's to CCUSA for the bad *** shipping. They sent it USPS 2 Day Priority and only cost like...$6 for shipping? Nice. Anyways. After a hour or two spent of zip tieing up a few things swapping some cables and getting shot in the eye with a Distilled Water, Antifreeze & Orange UV Dye mix, the final product came out, well, UV Reactive Orange! Alotta people have shunned this product saying it doesn't work or saying it's BS because there is no Orange UV Dye...well they were wrong. I added maybe 15 drops into my res, maybe 3 at a time letting the water mix up. It only took about 30 minutes. My water is now glowing a sweet looking Orange with a blue overlay from my case fans. Sadly, the pictures will have to wait until tomorrow when my POS battery hogging camera's battery charges :mad:

The Conclusion

Overall I am VERY happy with the outcome. My rig is turning into exactly what I pictured. I ordered 2 more 12" Uv Cathode Tubes so it lights up brighter, as well as a 80mm UV Fan to go over my videocard since it gets so hot I cannot touch it. You simply can't beat $6 for a product that works exactly like it should. The only downside that is noticable is under regular NON-UV light, the water appears to be red-ish. It doesn't look bad though, and that's what counts ;)

I'll be sure to get those pictures up for you guys ASAP!!!

***SEE BELOW FOR PICTURES!!!***

Last edited:
im looking foward to buy this coolant for my next rig, and im happy to know that it really works well. I think I can contact them to ship in Canada, at least I hope :drool:

Sneaky said:
pictures?

Sadly my camera won't take the picture unless the battery is full or pretty close to full, I just put it in like 15 minutes ago :(

Yeah the gumming...we will find out I guess. With any Dye there is usually some sort of gumming or drawback but you gotta balance the two, pros and cons and find out which are worth it for you.

ALRIGHT! The camera's battery is finally charged...either that or I just got up ;)

One thing to take into consideration, due to cameras never being perfect, the water appears to be a pinkish redish tint to it...do not let that mislead you, the water is very ORANGE in person. I also have 2 more 12 in UV Cathode Tubes as stated above coming in the mail tomorrow to help brighten up that orange in the middle.

Glass of 90/10 w/ Orange UV Dye, UV Lights Off.
glass_off.jpg

Glass of 90/10 w/ Orange UV Dye, UV Lights On.
glass_on.jpg

Case with UV Lights Off.
case_off.jpg

Case with the Room Lights On, UV Lights On.
case_on_lights.jpg

Case Overall.
case_overall.jpg

Case Side.
side_1.jpg

Case Side Again.
side_2.jpg

Case Side Again Again.
side_3.jpg

Zee Videocard.
case_video.jpg

The T-Line.
case_tline.jpg

The Pump Area.
case_pump.jpg

Upper Area of the Case.
case_upper.jpg

Overall I'm VERY happy with the outcome. I can't wait for the other 12" UV Cathodes to arrive tomorrow, the Orange will REALLY shine then :D

Oh, and sorry it took so long to get them damn pictures up, I slept about 13 hours from when I origonally wrote this post. They are definitly there now...uploading high res shots now (4.9mb a file, woohoo!).

Edit: Errr...3.91mb a file, someone set the camera on low quality?

Last edited:
very cool indeed !!!

--------------------------------------------------------------
im blind in my left ear so dont shout i wont see you
--------------------------------------------------------------

soloz2 said:
why does your cool water from your rad go to your gpu before your cpu?

This is not as much of a concern, as the temp difference throughout the loop is negligible. However now that you mentioned it I did look at the loop and it appears that the storm block has the inlet and outlet reversed? I have seen several posts of people that had it backwards and it seemed to impact temps alot.

EDIT: Nevermind, looked again and it's not even a storm ;)

very nice.... I like it

a little off topic but I have the same case as you, how hard was it to get the rad on top of the case? did you cut a large rectangular hole on the top?

Looks a little read to me, but I may need to pick some of htat stuff up. I'm probably going to be running orange anti-freez in my chiller loop, and it wou;d be nice to have a leak dection die that's diffrent for each loop.

Hum... If i"m running clear/blue in the main loop, orange in the chiller loop, what to run in the chipset cooling loop...

soloz2 said:
why does your cool water from your rad go to your gpu before your cpu?

My loop is kinda wacky. Before, I had it Pump > Res > Rad > CPU > GPU > Pump

CPU Idle: 26C
CPU Load: 34C
GPU Idle: 20C
GPU Load: 28C

These temps are with the air conditioning in the house, on. With it off and a slightly warm house, add about 3 ~ 4C

With the loop how it is now, Pump > Res > Rad > GPU > CPU > Pump, my temps have not changed. It's VERY crampt in the case as you can see, but the way my new loop is setup is to reduce kinking and make the setup look clean.

Deathknight said:
This is not as much of a concern, as the temp difference throughout the loop is negligible. However now that you mentioned it I did look at the loop and it appears that the storm block has the inlet and outlet reversed? I have seen several posts of people that had it backwards and it seemed to impact temps alot.

EDIT: Nevermind, looked again and it's not even a storm ;)

Yep, Its an Apogee :D

kiljaden5 said:
very nice.... I like it

a little off topic but I have the same case as you, how hard was it to get the rad on top of the case? did you cut a large rectangular hole on the top?

Yeah, I had to. It's not completely rectangular but if you care to visit my build log of my first loop you will see how I did it. The rad is inside of the case with the fans holding it on top. Take a look : http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=452006

Thanks for all the replies guys, I appricate it. I also got kudo's from the owner of CCUSA for this thread and maybe a picture or two of my rig using their UV Dye may be put on their site for display !

Also, the high res pictures are up. I forgot to link to them before I headededed off to work...they are right meha: http://www.distantnetwork.net/images/computer/andromeda/uv/highres/

Back