• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Revitalizing a 1U server with desktop hardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkApollo

Registered
I was very fortunate in my last job to work for a company who was -quite- generous with their old tech gear. Being such, I had acquired 2x 1u HP DL360G4 and 2x 2u HP DL380G3 servers. That is all fine and dandy, and the 380's house my home file storage and 1 of the 360's hosts my website. However the other 360 just will not boot. It will not post. The fans go full on and never run down. I have swapped everything from the working 360 into the case and even ordered a new mother board which did not resolve the issue.
So since I have this dead server with legacy equipment and the other three may not be far behind I figured I would take the time to see if I could stick some desktop hardware inside the case and bring it back to life, and along the way turn the SCSI drive bays into SATA drive bays so I can use larger than 300Gb drive and not worry about finding SCSI U300 referbs.
Most modern BIOS support some form of RAID, but for this case it only has two external drive bays so that is not a major concern. If I am successful I may do this to one of the 380's as well which has 6 drives.

My concerns are this:
1) 1u is NOT a lot of head room and I would have to think of some cooling solution for the CPU since a stacked HSF will not fit in the case. The dual INTEL chips are cooled by a heat sink that is blown on by an array of 40mm jet engines
2) The dual PSU run to a converter board which then plugs into the server board. I will have to add wires to extend that.
3) The SCSI drives are hot swapped. I have no problem losing that function since it is not a production box and downtime for my client (me) is not a big concern.
4) The drives, being SCSI, do not have SATA power on the back plain. I will have to wire SATA power from the PSU to the drives.
5) Proprietary mobo design with the integrated IO ports will need a work around for the ports on an ATX board or a way to access the ports on the ATX board (really, only USB and NIC. If I need access I can remote in)

I will post some pictures when I get home.

Thoughts?

Back