• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router no longer shows as a network device

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Router: TP-Link Archer C9

Issue: After updating the router firmware the router as a network device no longer shows in File Explorer. This is problematic as I cannot now backup our computers to the USB external hard drive plugged into the router. Rolling back the firmware to the previous version does not fix the issue.

What's not broken:
1. I have wired and wireless internet connectivity. No issues there.
2. I can access the firmware page to adjust router settings. No issue there. I have fiddled with the USB sharing and FTP options to no avail.

Anyone have any insight here?

Could W10 have made it a hidden folder?

I'm thinking Windows 10, but for a different reason. is the network type set to Private/Home? Windows might actually be blocking the connection via the firewall. You have to dig in Windows 10 to change this (need to enable "allow discovery" from within the connection's network settings).

I think its within Windows... though not the networking part... he updated the FW of the router, not reinstalled windows and change network from pub to priv...

Can you try to go out and discover a network place? Within File Explorer and "this computer" is a network section. Right click and select map network drive and see if its found?

There is a great little droid ap for viewing network devices called NetX. Network scanner, analyzer, wol, ssh, etc.

I think its within Windows... though not the networking part... he updated the FW of the router, not reinstalled windows and change network from pub to priv...

I was thinking the router was seen as 'new' to windows after the firmware update, although it's not supposed to (assuming the router's network settings were not adjusted). By default Windows treats networks as public (restrictive firewall permissions) until told otherwise.

Trents has been MIA since posting, so hopefully his router is actualy still working. :p

are you able to access the share by typing in the ip address of the router like this?

\\192.168.x.x\(sharename)

Could W10 have made it a hidden folder?

Not the issue. I have "Show hidden files and folders" checked in File Explorer view.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm thinking Windows 10, but for a different reason. is the network type set to Private/Home? Windows might actually be blocking the connection via the firewall. You have to dig in Windows 10 to change this (need to enable "allow discovery" from within the connection's network settings).

The network is set to Private.

I'll try and look into the firewall issue you mention.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you try to go out and discover a network place? Tried that. Doesn't find it. Within File Explorer and "this computer" is a network section. Right click and select map network drive and see if its found? Tried that already. No dice. When I browse for the drive it's not there. Besides, it's behind the router and that doesn't show in the network tree.

are you able to access the share by typing in the ip address of the router like this?

\\192.168.x.x\(sharename)

Yes, I am. I've done that already. I can view the folders on the drive if I do this but what good does that do me? The drive is behind the router but the router doesn't show up in the File Explorer network tree section.

Or 'Devices and Printers'?

The router shows up as a multimedia device.

- - - Updated - - -

The router also shows up in File Explorer's right side pane as a network infrastructure device but not in the left view pane in the network tree.

- - - Updated - - -

Network discovery is turned on. Not sure how to check the firewall blocking. Update: Okay, I temporarily disabled Windows Defender Firewall but it made no difference. Still don't see the router in the network tree.

- - - Updated - - -

For the time being I've moved the backup drive to one of the PCs on the network. This is a workaround, however and is dependent on leaving that PC on all the time.

Attachments

• multimedia.JPG
    multimedia.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 719
  • infrastructure.JPG
    infrastructure.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 709
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of the router interface advanced USB settings. TP-Link support says there should be something showing in the third section where the red X is.

Attachments

• FTP.PNG
    FTP.PNG
    28.7 KB · Views: 712
Is your device DDWRT capable? If you can confirm the USB share functionality is in the DDWRT deployment for your router, I'd recommend that route. Sounds like a programming issue with the TP-link firmware, and doesn't sound like you'll get a fix anytime soon from them. When tech support says there's an entire field of settings are missing and shrugs = not a good sign for you.

Fwiw, try enabling the 'require login' and when prompted on the PCs login and check the box to always remember. Anonymous shares don't always work.

Okay, so got it figured out. It's an SMB issue. The latest firmware from TP-Link does not support SMBv.2 which came with the Windows 10 Fall Creators update. This revelation came when I, at the advice of a network guru friend of mine advised me to try accessing the router by typing in the IP from Windows Start/Run. I got an error message saying:

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

When I turned SMBv1 back on through Windows/Features then I can see the router and the backup drive in the File Explorer network tree and can create a network drive share.

My concern with doing this is two-fold:
1. Am I creating a big security risk? There are all kinds of warnings on the internet about the inherent insecurity of SMBv1. Keep in mind, this is a home network not a corporate setting.
2. Will future Windows updates reinstate SMBv2 so that I have to do this all over again a few months from now? My experience with reinstating drivers and dll files in order to make stuff work again after Windows updates that it gets undone with subsequent Windows 10 updates. Is it just kicking the can further down the road and should I look at replacing the router with a newer product? I love this router. It's got great range, a good feature set and has been reliable.

What is your advice?

I would go the DD-WRT way. i have windows 10 (which has the latest updates including creators) and it can see the network shares on my netgear routers that are running the latest build of dd-wrt.

He says not to worry about it from a security standpoint as the kind of attacks that SMBv1 is vulnerable to are not likely to happen in my scenario since I'm just a peon that no one has any interest in sabotaging. If I understood him correctly it's a vulnerability of the kind that allows mass assaults to overwhelm servers and take down big networks.

As for future Microsoft updates reversing my corrective changes my network guy said that may indeed prove to be an issue. I guess I'll just wait and see and if it happens again before I consider getting a newer router. To give that some more time would probably give the manufacturers more time to update their products and firmware anyway. I'm not sure if TP-Link will invest any more effort in my current product but I certainly will make sure there support team is made aware of the issue. I have a case reference number from my interaction with them a few days ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I would go the DD-WRT way. i have windows 10 (which has the latest updates including creators) and it can see the network shares on my netgear routers that are running the latest build of dd-wrt.

I don't think my router is DD-WRT capable. I have gone that direction in the past with other routers, however.

Edit: I guess there is now a beta DD-WRT version available for this router. I think I'll hold off on that one and see how things go.

He says not to worry about it from a security standpoint as the kind of attacks that SMBv1 is vulnerable to are not likely to happen in my scenario since I'm just a peon that no one has any interest in sabotaging. If I understood him correctly it's a vulnerability of the kind that allows mass assaults to overwhelm servers and take down big networks..

Since the only communications using that protocol are internal on your network someone would need to physically connect while in your house/apartment in order to have access and take advantage of the weaker security. I wouldn't worry about it either.

Glad you got it sorted. I've needed to do this for clients with older diagnostic equipment that have proprietary operating systems written 15 years ago. Windows updates was the culprit in their case as well. Didn't occur to me your router would be living in the stone ages. :p

Since the only communications using that protocol are internal on your network someone would need to physically connect while in your house/apartment in order to have access and take advantage of the weaker security. I wouldn't worry about it either.

Glad you got it sorted. I've needed to do this for clients with older diagnostic equipment that have proprietary operating systems written 15 years ago. Windows updates was the culprit in their case as well. Didn't occur to me your router would be living in the stone ages. :p

I bought the router about two and a half years ago. It's v. 1 of that model and now TP-Link has v. 5. The latest firmware for version 1 is now a year and a half old. Other than the present issue it has given me great service.

I would buy it again except you never know what version of the hardware you are getting. I think there should be legislation enacted that requires manufactures to disclose what version a product is on the retail box and also require online vendors to disclose the version in their advertising. It can make a huge difference in the capability of the device.

Just got an email from TP-Link USA support saying if I had not resolved the issue then they would ship me an updated product. I replied and said I had discovered what the problem was and had instituted a workaround but feared it would be undone by future Windows updates. They wanted the serial number of my present router and my shipping address. We'll see. I was impressed, however, with their responsiveness.

Just got another response from TP-Link support saying they were indeed processing the shipment for a replacement unit. I will likely just store it away until the current one starts giving problems. Right now the current one is working fine and the network is happy again. No sense in fixing something that ain't broke, as the old saying goes.

Back