• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Consumer level Wifi router that supports SMB v.2?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I have a TP-link Archer C9 v.1 router that does not support SMB v. 2 so I have gone into Windows 10 settings and re-enabled SMB v.1 so that I can see the other devices on my home network in the Windows File Explorer Network section. But I am concerned about the security vulnerabilities inherent in doing so. As you may know, Windows 10 updates in the past year automatically disabled SMB v.1 because of it's serious security vulnerabilities.

In contacting TP-link support via chat to inquire about SMB v. 2 support in their newer router products I get the runaround. They don't seem to be able to answer the question and are "checking with the Advanced team".

In researching this whole SMB issue on the internet forums I get the impression that it's not just TP-link that is behind the curve in this matter but other Wifi router manufacturers as well.

My question is, does anyone know of any current consumer level dual band routers that definitely support the newer SMB protocols? I'm looking to upgrade to something that supports SMB v.2 or later.

Okay, answered my own question. I had been considering purchasing the TP-Link Archer C2300 for sometime. I happened to look on the TP-Link website at the change log for the latest firmware update for that model and it specifically said "adds support for SMB v.2".

So in case you are on the same quest as I was that might be the place to start as you are looking at different router upgrade options. I did not see any mention of the SMB version supported in the product info marketing information.

I'm a little surprised it's taking the router manufacturers so long to get on top of this issue, though I realize most consumers don't even interact with SMB issues and are also unaware of the security implications of still being on an ancient SMB version (v. 1 is 30 years old).

Yes it has. An interesting factoid here is that the TP-Link C2300 firmware update is dated September of this year. That's more than 10 years after SMB was updated by Microsoft, which happened in 2006. I think the router manufacturers are just getting around to reacting to the fact that Microsoft didn't switch off SMB v.1 until earlier this year. As long as it was still in place they felt no pressure to do anything.

Windows 10 and Windows Server editions came out with SMB 3.1.1 in 2016.

Last edited:
Back