• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

router snafu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dugans

OK, here's the thing: I just got a gateway router (Netgear rp114)for my broadband connection, to free up system resources and supply NAT firewall.

My problem: my server can no longer use my redirected domain name. I can connect HERE using internal ip, but not using the dynamic ip from mediaone cable.

I have called tech support but since they barely spoke english, and I am not multi-lingual, we got nowhere!

Do any of you router guru's know where I can find info, or can you help?

If I can't get this resolved I'll be going back to my software firewall and returning this thing!

This is a problem with some routers. Try connection to your domain name from a different PC OUTSIDE your little network and see if it works.

I had the same problem with a web and FTP server behind my NetGear RT314. I could connect with IP but not redirected hostname from TZO.com. Came to find out I could connect fine outside my LAN from any other PC. It's weird but works.

If you still can't connect this way then you have a router setting that needs changing.

Ok I usually don't post links to other forums but check out the forums at http://www.dslreports.com look under netgear there are a lot of people their that do nothing but networking and when I was having problems with my rt314 those guys solved every problem I had very quickly.

Good Luck.

Back