• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router suggestions (wired priority)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulfly1448

I have an ASUS RT-N16 that is crapping out altogether now. It started with the wired ports becoming intermittent and it's just getting worse. Been running DD-WRT, flashed back to stock with no change. It has lasted a whopping 5 months.

I am looking for a new router. My prime concern is gigabit LAN. I do need wireless but I don't give one damn about the speed of it since it's for phones/tablets with no gaming or streaming (ethernet is run to the real computers). There is a media/file server, two computers in the office and the HTPC. The HTPC and one computer in the office must have gigabit. Currently two runs to the office. One for the primary computer, the second goes to a switch (100Mbps) that feeds an IP phone and wife's computer. Dedicated run to the living room for the HTPC. Fourth port is for the file server.

Essentially I'm looking for ideas. I'd rather not spend more than a couple hundred dollars which is why I'm shying away from going wired router/AP/gigabit switch setup. I assume I'll end up having to go the wireless router method considering what I'm willing to spend. I'm not entirely opposed to that but it must be able to handle the LAN traffic (for more than 5 months). The last unit I had, a Linksys E3000 lasted a year under the same conditions. I actively cool my equipment.

I can testify for my Asus RT-n56u..

I love it, found out that it actually supports gigabit speeds accross the lines.

They have the newer versions for little more $ but this one is only $92 on newegg atm.

It has good wireless speeds, gigabit accross lan, 4 ports for lan, 2 usb 2 ports (good for text files I use access across network via flash drive), but have had usb HDDs and does well too.

As a sidenote, I do use the aftermarket firmware, which works perfectly.

My access time (given with my isp) is 7-9ms and that is with 2 switches inbetween.

Some routers that do usb3 are a toss up as the signals via wireless "n" and the usb3 can interfere with eachother. But if you use ac or abg, you should be fine (if you want to look at the rt-ac56u for $152).

Back