• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

running Tualatin on CuMine MB w/o Powerleap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Re: Re: HELP

jmsandrsn said:

I'm afraid this is the only thought I have: Are you sure that no other pins are being connected with your AK4 to AK26 bridge? Also, how are you doing the connection between the 2 pins?

Don't be afraid... :D
You were right, the connection was problem, so I change the wire, and now it is ROCK stabile!

Thank's wery much! :D :cool:

There's a lot talking for this!

After many hours reading this amazingly interessting but sometimes incoherent forum-thread I am absolutely convinced. I am currently running an old Celeron 300a@464mhz on an Abit BH6 rev. 1.02, SS-Bios.

As I see it I have a great chance on succeeding running a Tualatin on my setup just by bying an ASUS 370-DL slotket (latest version) and removing the three pins that all are talking about and make the proper settings on the slotket and bios before testing.

So I'm just writing this to hear if anyone out there has a setup like mine with a properly working Tualatin? If there is, is there something in particular I should think about before going at it??

/@top of Sweden

Re: good news!

belinassu said:
I removed the tually cover again and lapped the thin core
(yes i did it! :D )
because it was no flat but a bit round (I can't say it in english)

congrats, what sandpapers (grits) have you used?:D

Re: There's a lot talking for this!

Brosken said:
As I see it I have a great chance on succeeding running a Tualatin on my setup just by bying an ASUS 370-DL slotket (latest version) and removing the three pins that all are talking about and make the proper settings on the slotket and bios before testing.
/@top of Sweden

I also wanted to do the mod for a friend, and I had planned to use the Asus Slotket S370-DL, but when I tried to find it here in Germany I could not believe what I saw. I was not able to find a shop that still had the card in stock, so I went on searching eBay. But the people there must be totally curious about this special Slotket. They bid upto 40$ on that Slotket-->totally insane

So, now, although there are a lot of reports where it didn't work, I'll try the mod with a Generic Slotket, because it's the only one I could get for a reasonable price. And who knows, maybe it'll work.

Working fine on bh6

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Brosken
/@top of Sweden
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running a 1A fine at 1333 on a BH6. All I did was remove the three pins on my Asus 370-DL slocket, running at 1.6v. It's been over 3 weeks now and everything runs fine and stable. The rest of my components are: GF3 Ti200 (@220/500), IBM 75gxp, Sblive! Value, 3com 3c509 (isa), Micron pc133 256mb at 3-3-3. On the BH6, with its 1/3 pci divider, my components are under pretty high strain, and with the max fsb of the BH6 at 133, 1333 is the limit of my OC with BH6. Hope this info helps!

P.S. I have another 1A where I mistakenly removed a pin, is there anyway to solder it back on?

Last edited:
Re: Re: There's a lot talking for this!

Celemine1Gig said:

I also wanted to do the mod for a friend, and I had planned to use the Asus Slotket S370-DL, but when I tried to find it here in Germany I could not believe what I saw. I was not able to find a shop that still had the card in stock, so I went on searching eBay. But the people there must be totally curious about this special Slotket. They bid upto 40$ on that Slotket-->totally insane

Don't try to understand hardware prices on eBay.de. I bet in a few years some researchers will come up with something like an "eBay law of total irationality" :).

But the thing with the 370-DL adapter is that it's one of the very very few adapters that works in dual setups with coppermines. I guess the takers for that thing are some totally frustrated dually owners.

So, now, although there are a lot of reports where it didn't work, I'll try the mod with a Generic Slotket, because it's the only one I could get for a reasonable price. And who knows, maybe it'll work.

Would be great if you could tell me what slotket you bought and where - and of course how it goes along. I'm still trying to figure out why on earth it's not working well (at all?) on generic slotkets.

Gruesse nach Bayern :)

Must have got a bargain

I have searched the web here in Sweden to get an ASUS slotket but it has been really hard. I was about to give up when I decided to call around to the local stores here in my town. And lucky as I was one store had it in for "only" about $17(roughly converted from SKr). On the net the cheapest was about $26 + shipping.
The one I got was a Asus S370-DL, ver 1.01. It has the important chip right?
Anyway... I'm happy. And lucky it seems. Now it's just a matter of getting a Tualatin. And that seems also hard. Up here anyway.

Ooo... man those Asus slotket's are worth it's weight in gold... :D :D

O by the way I just wanted to say, that after 4 days of search, I found ONE Asus S370 DL-133 (rev. 1.02) whit TVC16222A chip for about 8 US$ ;) :beer:

Has anybody tried this mod with powerleap Neo S-370 PPGA to FCPGA adapter? I have a BP6 and sucessfully ran a cele 566@850 with just that adapter. If i can mod the adapter then I think it might work. Or can the mod be done on a PPGA socket?

Here's a pic of the adapter from the powerleap site

I tried out an MSI 6905 Master ver 2.0 slocket today and I was albe to get the mod to work with this slocket as well (previously tried it on the MSI ver 2.3 slocket). This was on a P3B-F rev 1.04 board.

I also tried out a Gigabyte GA-6R7+ slocket but could not get the system to post (this slocket does not have any jumpers so I had to do wire trick to set the voltage). It probably won't make a difference but I will take out the AK4 to AK26 bridge to see if that makes a difference.

I tried the Gigabyte slocket some more but still no luck. I still may try it some more in a few days since I may not have had all of the pins insulated well enough.

I tried an Asus S370-133 slocket and was not able to get it working either. I tried it with and without the AK4/AK26 connection but no luck. I had originally reported that it did work but I accidentally put the CPU back into the MSI slocket rather than the Asus slcoket.

Last edited:
Thanks for the new data, jmsandrsn!

Seeing that this thread is getting a little "difficult to handle", has anyone started compiling Tualatin mod knowledge (compatibility etc.) into a (mini) FAQ or something?

I'd start on that but I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

DSTA said:

Seeing that this thread is getting a little "difficult to handle", has anyone started compiling Tualatin mod knowledge (compatibility etc.) into a (mini) FAQ or something?

Nope no one has done it yet. Hit it if you are so inclined.

@ fools
soldering a pin? possible but very hard job to do it succesfully & special soldering iron (very small one..)

@ brosken
if the slotket has that chip on it, should work...

@ jmsandrsn
That Asus slotket which did not work, was an older edition w/o that famous chip?

@ deez
IMHO the mod can not be done on PPGA socket very easily-too much rewiring, some guys tried mod from ppga to fcpga & than mod for tuallie, but did not work on slotkets...
For your Neo adapter, check if it has that blody chip inside, if yes it could even work!

Imagine how I found stuff about that damn chip: a month ago I came accross a link on VP6.com to a review of new PowerLeaps fcpga-fcpga2 adapter & I don´t know why I saved the picture of showing it & the chip on it. After trying a bunch of slotkets with my friend he came to me saying that it actually works with his MSImasterV2 slotket & before he left I got a clue & checked the biggest chip on it & the markings seamed familiar to me so I checked the magnified picture in my archive: Bingo! DL-ed datasheet from the Net checked the function & here is the discovery!
Some people succeded with generic slotket IMHO because they had the last revision of Slot1 mobos with similar chip already on the mobo /depends on model,version & manufacturer of a mobo!/

Now I am still searching for that Asus slotket to put my Tuallie on it; it is higher & makes no problems if you have already active cooling of a chipset...

Re: Re: Re: There's a lot talking for this!

DSTA said:

Would be great if you could tell me what slotket you bought and where - and of course how it goes along. I'm still trying to figure out why on earth it's not working well (at all?) on generic slotkets.

Gruesse nach Bayern :)

Ebenfalls Grüße nach Nordrhein-Westfalen!

I'll keep you updated. The Slotket I'm going to try the mod with is a NoName Card. No manufacturer is listed on the package. It only says 370 PPGA/FC-PGA Card and FC-PGA Coppermine. As I already said, I'll do te mod for a friend of mine, but he doesn't have his new Tualatin Celeron CPU yet. I'll have to wait until he gets his new CPU and perhaps I'm able to get my hands on a Gigabyte Slotket until then.

One last question...

With risk of sounding stupid but... Does it matter if the important chip on an adapter is a TVC16222 or a TVC16222A?

I happen to have the TVC16222 on my adapter. It's probably an older version of the TVC16222A and I'm getting worried...

DSTA said:

I was thinking about doing an article on the mod and submitting it to Ed or Joe. I started it on Sunday but haven't made a lot of progress.

Re: One last question...

Brosken said:
With risk of sounding stupid but... Does it matter if the important chip on an adapter is a TVC16222 or a TVC16222A?

I happen to have the TVC16222 on my adapter. It's probably an older version of the TVC16222A and I'm getting worried...

I don't think it will mater.
However, it may not be a good assumption to assume that all slockets with that TVC16222 will work.

@ jmsandrsn
That Asus slotket which did not work, was an older edition w/o that famous chip?
[/B]

I believe it does but I'll have to double check when I get home.

I know that the Gigabyte slocket did not have this chip...it seems to have 2 smaller but similar chips on it.

jmsandrsn said:

I was thinking about doing an article on the mod and submitting it to Ed or Joe. I started it on Sunday but haven't made a lot of progress.

Ah, great! I've started collecting data on the mod and condensing it a bit (XXX works for user YYY with part ZZZ, see URL), but I haven't made much progress either.

Around this weekend it might be usefull enough to help you with the article, so if you want to wait that long before submitting I'll send the stuff your way.

Back