• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 5 3600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kylek89

I’m looking to upgrade from my ryzen 3 2200g. I was looking at the ryzen 5 3600 which is a 6 core but now I’m wondering if I should spend a little more and go with one of the ryzen 7 series and get an 8 core? What are your thoughts??

I would wait until the new Zen 3 (Vermeer) processors are released. There's a good chance you will save some cash on a new R5 3600X. Of course you could also get a newer R5 5600X too.

Yep, I'd wait at least a month or two. Prices should drop.

I bought the 3600 in July. I am incredibly happy with it. Personally I wouldn't even consider getting anything else, unless you really need the extra cores \ threads.

The 3600 provides an incredible price to performance ratio. I'd get the 3600, or the 3600X or XT.

I’m looking to upgrade from my ryzen 3 2200g. I was looking at the ryzen 5 3600 which is a 6 core but now I’m wondering if I should spend a little more and go with one of the ryzen 7 series and get an 8 core? What are your thoughts??

It would be good to know what motherboard you have currently

Ok. So your board will support any of the Ryzen 3xxx series CPUs. Asus would need to do a BIOS update for it to run the latest 5xxx series. That is a crap shoot since this isn't one of their high end boards.

If you need integrated graphics then can also try to get Ryzen 4650G but it won't be easy. It has 6 cores/12 threads runs at a higher clock than the 3600, heats up less and has mentioned IGP. I'm not sure how or if B450 motherboards work with them as it's more like a mix of Zen 2 and 3. Ryzen 5600 (not X) should appear at the beginning of the next year.

There was a news in last days that ASUS won't release BIOS that supports Ryzen 5000 on their B450 motherboards.

Edit:
Updated news says that ASUS will support Ryzen 5000 on B450/X470 as long as AMD will provide firmware.
Somehow I wonder who would care to work on a BIOS for "old" motherboards. Even if they release BIOS then I don't think they will spend more time to fine tune it for the new series. Pretty much the same story as it was with 400 series motherboards and Ryzen 3000. Most work but many not as good as expected.

Last edited:
I bought the 3600 in April but I wouldn't have got it if my pre order for the 3300X came but I pre ordered that before the launch date and when it came Scan.co.uk couldn't get me mine until end of June so I couldn't wait for that and at the time I had that re found buzz of building a new PC again last time was 10 years ago with my 2600k Sandy Bridge which I still have. So I decided to take some cash from my GPU as I was going for a 5600XT went with the XFX RX580 and got the 3600 instead no regrets I love this rig I really do even if I game at 1920x1080 I get 60fps in every game and I can't go back now to console gaming that I won't be buying a PS5.

Also, you probably already know this, but if you do not already have a PCI-E dedicated graphics card then you will need one. The 3600 does not have built in graphics.

EDIT: Woomack kinda beat me to it, didn't notice before posting.

Back