• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC (UEFI) (8Gb) flash to r9 390x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dimster

Registered
Hey guys I need some help.
I have the chance to buy a used Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC (UEFI) (8Gb) and I would like to know a few things.

1) Can I flash it to r9 390x bios
2) And if yes would I have some benefits or could I instead simply oc this gpu and match the r9 390x performance?

As far I know it is basically the same gpu with tighter vram timings for r9 390x and possibly higher stock speed both vram and chip.

Yeah you can flash it, but it'll still be a 290X just running 390X speeds/timings. It's better if you find the 290X's best overclocks and mod it's original bios to those speeds. There's less of chance you borking the 290X with a 390X flash that won't take ;)

If it was 290 to 290x or 390x there is a reason to do it, If its already a 290x you better find the best overclock yourself as said above :)

I forgot to mention that the 390 and 390x have a different VRAM chips with higher clock speeds, You may brick your GPU cause of that.

Back