• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

saw this article on tomshardware

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

therudyq3

funnyperson...ur somewhat correct...i did turn the resolution up to 1024 X 768 and i only lost 6 fps..this is without a sound card in the pci slot...

Bigred how do u know that ur cpu is the bottle neck?..i mean how do we go about and determine that our cpu is the bottle neck...

with my old geforce2 gts 32 MB and an old sound card, i get 5 more fps than the radeon...unless i switch to a newer sound card like the hercules MULES XL..i actually gained 10 fps

by the way i sw this article at www.tomshardware that suggested the sound card can take away some cpu processing power. So I went out and bought a hercules fortissimoII hoping it would resolve the issue...but to no avail..same ol same old results

http://www.tomshardware.com/video/01q3/010927/audigy-14.html

I had the MUSE sound card, and just upgraded to the Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer sound card. Every aspect of my computer has improved tremendously. Framerate is higher, and everything responds faster. So I would say that the old sound card was a huge bottleneck. It seems that the MUSE was drawing quite a bit of power from the cpu.

tucl101....i just bought that fortissimo II card..and acording to tomshardware..it's right up there with the audigy...but ...darn it..i still get the same old results...
did u have to set up the audigy in any particular special way to get better performance or just simply installed the card and run it?

therudyq3 said:
funnyperson...ur somewhat correct...i did turn the resolution up to 1024 X 768 and i only lost 6 fps..this is without a sound card in the pci slot...

Bigred how do u know that ur cpu is the bottle neck?..i mean how do we go about and determine that our cpu is the bottle neck...

with my old geforce2 gts 32 MB and an old sound card, i get 5 more fps than the radeon...unless i switch to a newer sound card like the hercules MULES XL..i actually gained 10 fps

by the way i sw this article at www.tomshardware that suggested the sound card can take away some cpu processing power. So I went out and bought a hercules fortissimoII hoping it would resolve the issue...but to no avail..same ol same old results

http://www.tomshardware.com/video/01q3/010927/audigy-14.html
I know my cpu is the bottle neck because i upgraded from a p3 700e@933 to my 1.2ghz and only saw marginal improvment (i run games @ 1024x768 with 2x quality smoothvision on) i upgraded my cpu to specified and only gained about 30 fps on q3a
and when i overclock my videocard i dont see much improvment, i see most improvment when i oc my cpu.

Back