• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

score the best

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

expaddy

Registered
So whats the best alternate? on a points basis!

stability 1-10
gameplay 1-10
user friendly 1-10
durability 1-10

for a basis I give win pro 28
thats

So what are your comparisons?

well im gonna give xp pro a 31 all 9's but gameplay it gets a 5 my 3d mark scores went down 700 points but its only locked up once and it was when i went overboard oc'ing the old vid card otherwise i've been quite impressed with it

hey super I was staying quite close to you a couple of years ago.
In burlington

BTW

this is supposed to be gathering info on alternate operating systems:)

stability 1-10
gameplay 1-10
user friendly 1-10
durability 1-10

XP:

98se:

2000:

Linux (Mandrake 8):

Edit: I didn't read the "score the best" part. I think the best is Windows 2000.

SuSE 7 pro

Stability - 10 I've never had a crash, although nVidia X drivers aren't the most stable!

Gameplay - 5 Getting better. www.lokigames.com is porting a lot of Windoze favs and the GUI is getting better all the time. WINE is also improving.

User Friendly - 8 The GUIs just get better. Todays distros can take the Linux newbie from a graphical installer to a Graphical login to a Graphical Desktop. Although some more exotic hardware can require a lot of config file editing. Also it is difficult for newer users to upgrade major system components eg XFree86 and the kernel itself (I still can get my 2.4.5 to mount disks or CDs)

Durability - 9 Users cannot muck it up - I've tried :)
Unfortunately for newer users who have root permissions it is all to easy to amke mistakes and get totally lost. Yep, been there.
-----
|31|
-----
Linux rocks!!!

AmbientFiction said:
Bahhh XP sucks. I can't see why someone would want to OS that did nothing more that bog your CPU down with crap total and utter crap. If your on Seti or folding just try running a WU crunching box on XP you'll see yout WU times drop out the bottem.

after i got rid of all the crap and set the priority to normal and my WU's are the same and it never crashes, the big problem i did have though that affected the performance was the crappy acpi drivers, they disregarded my bios and assigned all my peripherals to the same irq, thanks to jons tip "changed it from acpi to standard computer" it works flawlessly you just have to cut the fat and run your folding client on a non admin account,

Back