• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sen's Mushkin PC6400 Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
yeah asus probe2 is pretty nice, i like the mbm style readings. i ended up just using the control utility with clockgen, can't remember the name. it monitors temps and voltages and lets you change voltages and speeds :) of course, that was up until my board died.

Thanks for the DDR2 exposure it's always great to see some leaders take point and cut the way. I'll wait for AMD to move on DDR2, next year. Maybe we'll see 3-3-3 timings by :santa:

AlabamaCajun said:
Thanks for the DDR2 exposure it's always great to see some leaders take point and cut the way. I'll wait for AMD to move on DDR2, next year. Maybe we'll see 3-3-3 timings by :santa:
Doubtful. The cas latency wont be going much lower. Frankly it doesnt matter since most of the work is done in the TRP and TRCD.

It will probably be at least a week or two before I get any closer to 300+FSB (waiting on new insulation for my pelt), so I went for an even 4GHz (14x285). DDR950 5-3-3-8 no problems at all. 2.30Vdimm, all else default (MCH/ICH) and stock passive cooling on the NB.

I was getting a little nervous looking at your 8000+s since Sandra is like 7150, so I downloaded Everest so we're comparing apple and apples. The mem definitely works much better (or works period) in this mobo :D

evddr950.gif

Ross said:
It will probably be at least a week or two before I get any closer to 300+FSB (waiting on new insulation for my pelt), so I went for an even 4GHz (14x285). DDR950 5-3-3-8 no problems at all. 2.30Vdimm, all else default (MCH/ICH) and stock passive cooling on the NB.

I was getting a little nervous looking at your 8000+s since Sandra is like 7150, so I downloaded Everest so we're comparing apple and apples. The mem definitely works much better (or works period) in this mobo :D

evddr950.gif
:clap: Im very glad its working well for you! Lets see 1ghz like this!
http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=27008

Yeah, I may break down and install a waterblock while waiting for the pelt insulation. I kinda need to finally figure out a permanent rad setup up for the pelt anyway. The problem is, I have too many big rads (2x BIP2s and a BIP3) and I don't know where I want to mount what. I need to be kind of sure before I go cutting multiple 5" holes in a $200+ case ;)

those are some nice results Sen.
no one's trying 2 gig packs of this ram yet, are you ppl? would be interesting to see how these in gig. sticks compare to mushking's 4200 low latency, like in here:

http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_detail.asp?ID=35

a theoretical question at this point, of course; i still think though that the move to 2 gig is just around the corner for most of us... not yet but close :p . what do you think?

Sneaky said:
whwre'd you get this? froogle doesn't come up with anything... I WANT!!!!! :drool:
From here (directally from mushkin themselves):
http://www.mushkin.com/doc/products/memory_list.asp?ID=8

Ive been told the 1GB X 2 do clock the same as what I have (since mine are single sided 1GB) so to anwser the question, yes I will get 2x1GB when the price goes down.

The next logical step is going to be 2GB but most likely it will be 4 that most people will get as density increases.

Holy FSB! Seen this via that thread: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=27274

I was just coming on to say how impressed I was with this mobo/Mushkin setup, but there's no thunder left after seeing that thread at XS :D

A lot less impressive, but I bit the bullet and temporarily installed a WB on my CPU. As a testament to the stability of the P5WD2/Mushkin 6400, it got up to 305FSB with relatively little work. The highest this proc has ever been on water is 306FSB, in the winter with 20C lower ambient blowing through the rad. This may just be a 315-320FSB setup on the pelt (312 max on the P5AD2-E).

Anyway, I gave the Muskin a workout since I had the FSB to do it: DDR1017 @ 5-3-3-8. The NB voltage may be the hold up going any higher...I haven't tried maxing the FSB with lower latencies, but the volt mods are readily available for the NB/Vdimm if that's the case. From the paragraph above though, I believe it just may be the max on WC in the summer...it's already at what it does on WC in the winter :)

ddr2-1017.gif

Ross said:
Holy FSB! Seen this via that thread: http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=27274

I was just coming on to say how impressed I was with this mobo/Mushkin setup, but there's no thunder left after seeing that thread at XS :D

A lot less impressive, but I bit the bullet and temporarily installed a WB on my CPU. As a testament to the stability of the P5WD2/Mushkin 6400, it got up to 305FSB with relatively little work. The highest this proc has ever been on water is 306FSB, in the winter with 20C lower ambient blowing through the rad. This may just be a 315-320FSB setup on the pelt (312 max on the P5AD2-E).

Anyway, I gave the Muskin a workout since I had the FSB to do it: DDR1017 @ 5-3-3-8. The NB voltage may be the hold up going any higher...I haven't tried maxing the FSB with lower latencies, but the volt mods are readily available for the NB/Vdimm if that's the case. From the paragraph above though, I believe it just may be the max on WC in the summer...it's already at what it does on WC in the winter :)

ddr2-1017.gif

Wow... I hope mine will do the same. Is it stable?

Well, only in the sense that when it would load Windows (which became a crap shoot after 30-45min.), it will bench and stuff without any problems and not have any restarts, but it wouldn't always fully load Windows.

So, no, the OC isn't stable, but I think the mem is and that's just the end of my proc on WC. The memory is not holding it up at all as I dropped the ratio and tried slightly higher FSB with no luck, so I think when the pelt finally goes back on and I can raise the FSB back >310, I won't be surprised if the memory has more in it at 5-3-3-8.

Whenever I get around to installing a FDD again, I'll run some Memtests at DDR1017 5-3-3-8 and see just how stable the memory is there...

Back