• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting the best timing for my ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luanpa

Registered
Hey guys I just have a quick question about my ram.

I had 4 gigs of DDR2 at 5-5-5-15 previously and since I got a ram fan I have put the ram to 4-4-4-12. Will this improve my game performance? If feels as if it take the computer longer to start... Is it because it has to warm up?:confused:
Please see my signature for complete system specs and details on the ram as well.

It shouldn't cause the computer to take any longer to start. There's no additional warm up or anything else required.

It's fine to tune memory timings lower as long as the computer is still stable. Running Prime95 'blend' or Memtest86+ is usually a good indicator of memory stability. While memory will be faster with lower timings, the difference is usually only noticeable in benchmarks - it's not surprising that you don't notice a difference in normal use.

Back