• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting Up Port Fowarding (With Pictures)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudpark41

This is a guide for how to set up a router to be able to host programs where other computers connect to the program through a IP address.

The Reason you need to set these ports up is because when you have a router you have more than one computer using a single Public IP address. When you host a program where people connect to your Public IP address ex.(Counter-Strike, Ventrilo) the program will reach the router then not know which computer is running the host program and therefore will not connect. What you need to know about routers is that you have 2 IP's per computer. The first one and most important one is the Public IP address. This is the address that when you use the internet is how you can be identified. The Public IP address is the same for every single computer on a network. The second IP address is the private IP address. This is the IP that your router gives you to identify the different computers on a network. Now to get the programs fowarding to correct computer is the problem. All private IP address from a router will start with this 192.168.#.##

The Port Number
This is normally a 4 character number. Some commen ports are as followed.
Ventrilo - 3784
Http - 80
Ftp - 23
TightVNC - 5900
You need to know the port number that the program you are hosting uses. If you cant figure out the port number just stop reading because you cant make this work.

Entering the Router's Setup
Ok now you need to ge into your routers setup menu. Routers normally have the same Private IP to enter the setup from the same company. The login information Is also provided.
Linksys - http://192.168.1.1 Username - Blank | Password - admin
3com - http://192.168.2.1 Username - Blank | Password - admin
Dlink - http://192.168.0.1 Username - Admin | Password - Blank
Belkin - 192.168.2.1 Username - Admin | Password - Blank
For all other router brands you can look at you product manual about Advanced Setup to Find the Private IP for the Router Setup.

Setting Up the Port Forwarding
Once you are In your routers setup page It will ask you to login. The default password / username will be admin. After Loging in you should see a few Rows of Options. You want to Click On the Advanced -> Virtual Server Option (Dlink / 3com) | Advanced -> Fowarding (Linksys). In the Service Port Box (Dlink / 3com) | External Port (Linksys) you need to enter in the port that the host program is going to use. If there are 2 boxes set up next to each other and are labeled Public Ports or Inbound Port or somthing of that nature type the port(s) you are going to use in the boxes. The lower port goes on the left side the higher port goes on the right. If you know your Private IP at this point add it in otherwise leave that box alone for now, but dont not close this page and or apply the changes yet.
Fowarding.JPG

Finding Out Your Private IP
AIM: The easyist way I have seen to find your private IP is to Open Up AIM. Right Click and in that Menu Go to Insert and then IP Address. For some reason AIM displays your private IP instead of your Public IP. The last numbers are all that will be important. Take the last numbers and then reopen the router setup window. Where it has the Server Ip box or where it says 192.168.#.(Empty Box) you put the last numbers of the private IP in the box. Then click the enable box if you have it. Also if there Is a dropdown window for "Type" highlight and select "Both" after that is put in you should be ready to go. Next just hit the Apply Setting Button that should on your screen or it's equalivant on your router. And your ready to go. Just start the programs host application and people should be able to connect to you if you and they know your Public IP address. If you dont know your Public IP address read on.
PrivateIP-AIM.JPG

PrivateIP-Digits.JPG

Getting Private IP Through Command Line
Wndows 95/98
Go to Start Menu-> Run, Once there, type "winipcfg" -> A little screen should come up with a little selection box. Left click -> Find something that seems to be your dsl/cable ethernet connection. Once you have found this, you should see your "Default Gateway" -> It should be something among the lines 192.168.1.X where X is your number.

Windows 2000
Ok. Go to the start menu and go to run. -> "ipconfig" -> A little screen will pop up, and run the IP check. In there, find your Default Gateway. It will be something like 192.168.1.X where X is your number. Or something like that.
PrivateIP-Promt.JPG

Windows XP
Go to My Computer -> My Network Places -> View Network Connections. Once there, proceed to the "Local Area Connection" or something similar to that. -> Double click. -> Go to Support -> Find your "Default Gateway" It should be something like 192.168.1.X where X is usually different for most people.
Local-Area-IP.JPG

Finding Your Public IP Address
This is the easyist step to do. Just go to www.whatismyip.com

Support Numbers
Linksys - (800) 326-7114
3com - 800-876-3266
Dlink - 1.877.45D-LINK (1.877.453.5465)
Belkin - 877-736-5771
Compaq 1-800-OK Compaq (1-800-652-6672)

Well that's it Hope this has helped you. It took me about 4 months to figure this stuff out so I think other people might be looking for this info and this might help you troubled people struggling with routers. Anyway hope this is helpfull for all those who need it. This Was written entirly by MudPark41.
If You need any extra help with router problems you can contact me at [email protected] or MudPark41 on AIM or MudPark41 on IRC in the Whatnet.org Network, channel #mudpark

O and I had to forward TWO ports to get my tight vnc working (5900 and I THINK 5800)

Benvanz, port 5900 is the default VNC port (through the vnc client), 5800 is the Java enabled port, which allows a browser with Java installed to remotely manage a host. Also, you can run more than one VNC machine on a network, you'd simply setup the host program's port number in numerical order (5900, 5901, 5902, etc.).

- Jim

ThePCGuy said:
Benvanz, port 5900 is the default VNC port (through the vnc client), 5800 is the Java enabled port, which allows a browser with Java installed to remotely manage a host. Also, you can run more than one VNC machine on a network, you'd simply setup the host program's port number in numerical order (5900, 5901, 5902, etc.).

- Jim

O ya, now I remember...yep it was the java thing

FTP is indeed Port 21, and Telnet is 23. Excellent -- just a few additions :)

Port 22 - SSH
Port 23 - Telnet
Port 443 - Secure HTTP (HTTPS)
Port 5190 -- AOL Instant Messenger
Port 8080 -- Used by F@H (at the minimum, at present, I do not recall if this is an officially sanctioned HTTP port, but that's the port that F@H runs HTTP on.)
27010 - HL/CS Server
27015 - HL/CS Client

Newb question. Before I port forward. If I am moving in with my parents and want to tap into there wireless router to play WoW and use Vent and Teamspeak would I need to set up a static IP address only on my computer and no other? And is it done through the computer the router is connected to or just done on my computer?

Redstone said:
Newb question. Before I port forward. If I am moving in with my parents and want to tap into there wireless router to play WoW and use Vent and Teamspeak would I need to set up a static IP address only on my computer and no other? And is it done through the computer the router is connected to or just done on my computer?

I have the same setup as you living with my Dad, I am pretty certain you just log on to the router from either computer since they both go to the same router and enter the static IP of YOUR computer. See the link I posted above for detailed help..

dreamtfk said:
I have the same setup as you living with my Dad, I am pretty certain you just log on to the router from either computer since they both go to the same router and enter the static IP of YOUR computer. See the link I posted above for detailed help..

Thanks, I am at work and skimmed your link today. That was the way I read it. Follow up.. did you have to do port forwarding through the router software after setting the static ip? That is what it looks like needs to be done in portforward.com. (of course I will find out soon enough once i get set up.)

Great Link by the way. I liked the port listing page.

Since it was a temp set up, I ended up leaving the ports wide open and using software based firewall on each computer. No need to forward in that case.

Back