• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seven billion. In Ham radio and military radio speak, it's prnounced seven. Yeah no diff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
To start with, a very big congrats to superducky on earning 7 billion points. I mean really. 7 billion. That's a lot of good effort for a great cause. Thank you for folding with us.

As a team, we are still chasing 4 teams to include some very heavy hitters like Nvidia and PCMR. Honestly. When I say that we are the little team with much strength, I mean it. We just keep going and these much larger teams with much more resources eat. our. dust. (read it for effect)

Hardware.no = 72 active folders.
NVIDIA = 16 but when you are the manufacturer of the best cards for folding and you use some to out produce the world....
PC Games Hardware = 90 active folders.
PCMR = 353.

We are fielding at this time a grand total of 37 and we don't produce and/or sell GPUs. So yeah. We're tough and set a standard that the others are forced to compete with. Win or lose, we are a force to be recognized. A force for good. I feel like I need to add that qualifier. We are doing good not evil. So keep at it and lets help cure disease. As a reminder, we primarily help with things like cancer and atziemers and such.

Now comes the more personal part. My intention here is to encourage active participation to build friendship and create shared experience as a team. So skip this part, respond to this part or ignor it completely and post your own experience(s). Have some fun and share some stuff.

In the last two months, we got two very steep electric bills. Now to put it in better perspective, our bothers/sisters in the South would say that we are getting by on low to average electric bills. That is, our extremely high bills for two months would be considered light to average for those in the South. While I can appreciate that you folks in the South pay a lot more for electric, we don't. Hell, I live in the death radius of two nuclear power plants and while one is being decomissioned*.... still. Power is generated very close to home. Anyway, due to the widely large extra cost, I shut down some folding so that I'm not using electric which is producing heat and then using more electric to combat that heat. Keeping in mind that we have a SEER7 AC unit. (That ain't great.) However... My farm in the basement decieded to just randomly help by shutting itself down.

While producing 0 ppd will help reduce my costs, it was far from my intention. Yesterday after work, I went and restarted my farm. My main rig has 2 x 3080 and a 3060. The F@H client says that they are all disabled. I've had this issue two other times and the last time it just fixed itself. So in frustration, I turned off the monitor and left it. We'll see how long it takes to work itself back into full running condition or... the weekend is coming so I could just look at the issue.

Oh. The issue that caused these very high (several hundreds of dollars above normal) bills for two months straight? The AC was running 24/7 but the 50A 240v breaker was meting supply lines. Paid a couple hundred bucks to get that fixed an all should be back to normal.

I'm looking forward to getting a smart meter that I can check via my phone or computer. A few of my co-workers got them and I've been seeing the WiFi anttenas along the road. Good stuff.

For reference:
* https://www.nrc.gov/info-finder/reactors/pali.html

Worked on my main farm rig. All GPUs listed as disabled. I removed the GPU slots and saved the config. I recreated the GPU slots and saved it. Still disabled. I then did system updates as this machine doubles as my VR machine on occasion. All was well. I had restarted before so that alone did not fix the issue.

1) Remove GPU slots.
2) Add GPU slots.
3) Reboot. Shutting F@H off then starting it again did not help.

I then tried moving my system over to a smaller UPS that I have. That did not work. Too much load on that little 500 VAH UPS. Oh well.

Everything that I had looked at said that the gpu.txt file was corrupt. It's not used any more. When the client starts up, it runs a test WU on all of the GPUs to decied which are good and which to be disabled. I'm guessing that when I have power blips, F@H takes that blip as a failure and disables the GPUs.

We have storms coming through today, could blip several times at home today and tonight. Just look at Chicago's weather and add 2 hours and that's my weather.

Nope. Just a re-occuring Folding Issue that plays by it's own rules. That and I have potential conditions that might do it again.

Hmmmm..... maybe I should just have said that.

Thanks folks. It's been a hot slog of a summer but to meet my goal of top-10 all time this year I had to press through. Less than 3 weeks to go towards that accomplishment.

Fold on!

Don, I hope you track down your gremlins quickly! That sounds like a nightmare to troubleshoot effectively!

Worked on my main farm rig. All GPUs listed as disabled.
I get that frequently, been unable to find the exact cause. My folders are Linux, I originally installed all the necessary folding@home though the snapcraft software store using one command:
"sudo snap install folding-at-home-fcole90 ". When the GPUs disabled thing rears it's ugly head I uninstall- "sudo snap removefolding-at-home-fcole90 ", then reinstall like before. Hopefully the next version of fahcontrol will remedy the 'GPUs disabled' anomaly. :unsure:

I get that frequently, been unable to find the exact cause. My folders are Linux, I originally installed all the necessary folding@home though the snapcraft software store using one command:
"sudo snap install folding-at-home-fcole90 ". When the GPUs disabled thing rears it's ugly head I uninstall- "sudo snap removefolding-at-home-fcole90 ", then reinstall like before. Hopefully the next version of fahcontrol will remedy the 'GPUs disabled' anomaly. :unsure:
I may be way off but what I've seen is that F@H got rid of the GPU.txt in favor of a software discovery system. When you start F@H, it runs a quick test of all GPUs on the machine to see if they will work or not. If the card fails the checks..... disabled. Why it does that as part of a power blip or other failure I couldn't say. I don't even know if I have my cause and effect right. My causation may be way off for all I know at this point.

I may be way off but what I've seen is that F@H got rid of the GPU.txt in favor of a software discovery system.
I see recent discussion on foldingforum about GPUs.txt, system updates(both Windows & Linux) affecting drivers and such. Anyway, Googling "GPU.txt" bought up this one on Github. Would downloading it to the FAH directory be "the fix"?

There used to be a folding@home wiki, maybe that was the old forum...?

In looking at my GPUs.txt file, it looks like it has all the current GPU's listed. And I'm using V7.6.21.

Back