• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Shadow_9's son needs help with motherboard and gpu.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shadow_9

Registered
Hi all, My dad said I can post here if I had any questions building my new gamer pc. I'm hooking power cables up and on the gpu there are two power cables plugs, On the motherboard for pci slot 1 where the gpu is installed there is also a 6 plug power slot for pci1 on the motherboard., Do I need to power that also????

I have the MSI z390 -A PRO board and the Gforce 2080 rtx. Thanks for any help.

Absolutely. But be careful. Some power supplies are poorly labeled so make sure you connect the correct cable to both the PSU and to the motherboard and card.

We have the EVGA 750 G3 supernova its all labeled but I wasnt sure about that plug.

Well, if you read the user guide to your motherboard, no doubt it says to make sure you connect the applicable power connector to it too!

Well, if you read the user guide to your motherboard, no doubt it says to make sure you connect the applicable power connector to it too!

user guide is no help as it only shows fan cpu and one or two things but not power connections.

LOL.

Can't fool someone who's been building computers for 30 years. Your user guide can be found here. And the instructions for the power connectors are on page 9. And on page 30 it states,
! Important
Make sure that all the power cables are securely connected to a proper ATX power
supply to ensure stable operation of the motherboard.

MSI even goes a step further by including a link to a YouTube video on page 9.

LOL.

Can't fool someone who's been building computers for 30 years. Your user guide can be found here. And the instructions for the power connectors are on page 9. And on page 30 it states,

MSI even goes a step further by including a link to a YouTube video on page 9.

lol found that after I posted. but now it wont post. have a white debug light stopping on the dram... tried moving ram around with no luck..

You might have to pull everything out of the case and assemble on a breadboard - triple checking to make sure you didn't insert more standoffs in the case than you have motherboard mounting holes - a common newbie and distracted user mistake.

You might have to pull everything out of the case and assemble on a breadboard - triple checking to make sure you didn't insert more standoffs in the case than you have motherboard mounting holes - a common newbie and distracted user mistake.

ok, We pulled everything rechecked and quad checked everything and still no post. stops at dram. we even tried different dram and still no post. ???

Rest the CMOS. There should be a jumper to do this on the motherboard and some motherboards have dedicated button for this. The RAM frequency, voltage and timings may be set incorrectly. Resetting the CMOS will return everything to vanilla default settings.

we even tried different dram and still no post. ???
I sure hope you were observing ESD precautions while assembling this computer, while digging around inside this computer and while handling the RAM. That is, EVERY TIME before reaching in or touching the RAM, you unplugged the computer from the wall and touched bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body.

We pulled everything
Out of the case? Remember, cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So it is common for cases to have more standoff mounting hole than motherboards have mounting holes.

Go the extra mile!

Son of Shadow,

For a first timer, it would be worth 15 minutes of your time to peruse the user manual (and watch the YouTube video). Have you seated the DRAM correctly? Look up what the POST code error means in your manual. We are here to help you learn, which means we will point you in the right direction. You still have to figure it out. A efficient way to test a build would be outside the case.
  1. Seat the CPU and HSF.
  2. Plug in one stick of RAM.
  3. Seat the GPU (if your CPU has on-board video, skip this step)
  4. Connect ATX 24pin and EPS 8 pin power to the motherboard. All connections snap in securely.
  5. Connect KB, mouse, monitor.
  6. Turn ON PSU and then turn on the MB by shorting pins 6 and 8 (page 29 of the manual) with a screwdriver.

I'm going to put on my professor hat for a moment to give you a bit of advice. Most people stop after assembling their computer. But, if you really want to learn about your machine, it would be worth exploring a few details. For example, do you know what the pin assignments on the ATX connector are? The difference between PCI and PCI Express? NVMe vs SATA in terms of lane assignments? There is a lot to learn, if you are so inclined. If you are curious, start by picking one subsystem a week, say "power connections" and learn about it.

Happy learning!

Attachments

• Image_1 2019-04-08_08-36-53.jpeg
    Image_1 2019-04-08_08-36-53.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 63
I sure hope you were observing ESD precautions while assembling this computer, while digging around inside this computer and while handling the RAM. That is, EVERY TIME before reaching in or touching the RAM, you unplugged the computer from the wall and touched bare metal of the case interior to discharge any static in your body.

Out of the case? Remember, cases are designed to support 1000s of different motherboards. So it is common for cases to have more standoff mounting hole than motherboards have mounting holes.

Yes to both everytime I put my hands in or my dad would yell at me..

Son of Shadow,

For a first timer, it would be worth 15 minutes of your time to peruse the user manual (and watch the YouTube video). Have you seated the DRAM correctly? Look up what the POST code error means in your manual. We are here to help you learn, which means we will point you in the right direction. You still have to figure it out. A efficient way to test a build would be outside the case.
  1. Seat the CPU and HSF.
  2. Plug in one stick of RAM.
  3. Seat the GPU (if your CPU has on-board video, skip this step)
  4. Connect ATX 24pin and EPS 8 pin power to the motherboard. All connections snap in securely.
  5. Connect KB, mouse, monitor.
  6. Turn ON PSU and then turn on the MB by shorting pins 6 and 8 (page 29 of the manual) with a screwdriver.

I'm going to put on my professor hat for a moment to give you a bit of advice. Most people stop after assembling their computer. But, if you really want to learn about your machine, it would be worth exploring a few details. For example, do you know what the pin assignments on the ATX connector are? The difference between PCI and PCI Express? NVMe vs SATA in terms of lane assignments? There is a lot to learn, if you are so inclined. If you are curious, start by picking one subsystem a week, say "power connections" and learn about it.

Happy learning!

Yes, I made sure everything was seated correctly and my dad double checked for me.I even tried different ram in the different slots and every time the debug light would stop on d ram.

What CPU do you have with the MSI z390 -A PRO?

I have the unlocked I7 9700 3.6 ghz 12mb cache.

Remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins. Intel LGA sockets are very fragile and pins can be bent even if you are fumbling around trying to get the CPU to seat correctly in the socket or accidentally drop it into the pin array. Since the CPU has connections to every other component the LED error messages may seem to indicate something else.

OK guys, I had to step in and help my boy out. lol! after a few days back and forth with MSI and a phone call to Amazon we had a new board delivered and I proud to say my son built his first computer and it booted with no delay or problems! He is absolutely blown away by the Bios... said he never knew they even existed... I said wait until you start overclocking. We also had a few other glitches with the build like the ram and a bad hard drive . I will definitely think twice before ordering with the big A again for cpu parts.:facepalm:

OK guys, I had to step in and help my boy out. lol! after a few days back and forth with MSI and a phone call to Amazon we had a new board delivered and I proud to say my son built his first computer and it booted with no delay or problems! He is absolutely blown away by the Bios... said he never knew they even existed... I said wait until you start overclocking. We also had a few other glitches with the build like the ram and a bad hard drive . I will definitely think twice before ordering with the big A again for cpu parts.:facepalm:

Glad you have it working well now. Were the defective computer parts packages already opened when you received them?

Back