• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sharing my CPU mod sadness x58 to westmere mode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jediman

I have an original revision evga x58 SLI LE motherboard that requires a mod to utilize a westmere xeon x5670 that I got. I completed the mod and the cpu worked great . . . until I went on vacation. Powered up the computer after being away and received no post. Went back to my old 920 . . . but sad I don't have my 6 core extra cache goodness anymore. Woe is me.

I am so sorry for you, maybe the problem is easy to solve, don't give up! :p

Tried to redo the mod. No success. Debating getting another chip, but I still don't know if it is a failed mod or a failed chip.

what mod, i dont have that board but i have a first/early run x58 Asus RIIG board. running a X5660 fine other then im stuck to the 2 lowest ram ratios, but at a 200blck i can get ddr3-1600. seems the ram i have doesnt like the board or the other way around lol.

The e757 revision 1.0 requires you to short two pairs of solder pads to disable the second qpi of the big xeons. One pair by the north bridge one by the CPU.

In case anyone else cares. . . tried it again and it still doesn't work. I can't really get the solder the join the pads. I got a second chip to see if I had busted the first one. Fail all around. From what I've gathered if anyone wants to do this in the future don't bother with the short near u20, it seems to work without it and busting the capacitors around there will make it fail.

Back