• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

should i lap my tc-4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R.Rabbit

its one of the newer tc-4's with dogde's spiral design, i was wondering cus other people say there's were REALLY warped, i really dont want to:( because it takes so long and ill have to reaplie AS3(which is a real pain for me! i can never get it totally covering the core!), i've got the time and if it'll make much of a diff i will
R.Rabbit

if they sell it like that, it doesnt matter, you may get 1-2 degrees out of it, but just ask yourself, is it worth it?

i just put it all together, exept i still have to get my fans and fake some shrouds, so i dotn feel like it yet, mabey after it's up and runnig and im really, bored, i still have yet to turn it on!, thanks for your input maskedgeek
R.Rabbit

if everything is nice and clamped, turn the water on, let it run for a while, you can run fanless for a shoort while, just point a few fans at the radiator, the other day while making a new shroud i ran fanless, just ran idle and it got upto like 47c no big deal

oh im anxios, its just, i have yet to install win 2k which is a turning out to be a biotch and i dont have any clamps, im gunna buy them tomarow, i figure if im not going to run it i might as well leak test it, oh and how much water wetter should i put in it?, oh and the only working vid card thats not being used is an ati rage 4mb that'll only run 640*480@16 colors for some reason(probly cus i threw it at my cat when he wouldnt shut up:D)

LOL, yeah im stuck on a 4mb card rite now. and for the WW, im guessing just drip it down the bleed tube while running till the water turns slightly pinkish

if you start w/ the right sand paper and work your way up, lapping doesn't take to long. If you notice that you've been using the same piece of sandpaper forever, you prob need to go down to the next lowest, then back to the one you were using.

Good luck finding what you need ;)

R.Rabbit said:
i dont have much money so which 2 grits should i use im thinkin 600 then 800, would this be good?
I only go as HIGH as 600, I would get some 200 and some 600.

Hey i got my tc-4 and there was a small notch in it so i lapped it with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it only took like 15 minutes.

X2sandman said:
Hey i got my tc-4 and there was a small notch in it so i lapped it with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and it only took like 15 minutes.
Then it must have been FLAT. Mine was very concave in the center, it took me a good while with 150 to remove the sharpie marks I put on the center of the block.

good idea with the sharpy marks i'll have to remember that one, im just going to do it after i get everything up and running so i know the before temps

damn! HIGHEST grit i could fing in the military store, or for you military savvy peeps, AAFES(army and air force exchange service, and its on a marine corpe base!)any way the highest grit i could find was 220! and that was for like one of those drill sander atachements and none of them were waterproof, man i aint no damn military brat this **** sucks!

Back