• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I spread the AS3 on the core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goo Kenson

The instructions say to also cover the core with AS3, should I do this? It seems unecessary, since the holes on the heatsink are already filled in with it. Isn't it making fine contact without spreading it on the core?

Do you all spread the thermal grease on the core?

Just follow the instructions of NEVIN & you'll be fine. The easiest & fastest way I found when spreading thermal compound on the core is using a plastic bag on you finger just like when you rub it into the base of your heatsink.

Sonny said:
The easiest & fastest way I found when spreading thermal compound on the core is using a plastic bag on you finger just like when you rub it into the base of your heatsink.

exactly what ive been doing for long time. works perfectly every time.

I was more asking why it's necessary, if the heatsink holes are filled in by the as3 rubbed on to the base.

Goo Kenson said:
I was more asking why it's necessary, if the heatsink holes are filled in by the as3 rubbed on to the base.

The CPU core isn't a perfectly flat surfice either, it also have holes, and would be air gaps between it and the heatsink

it's not enough. simple as that. you really want to take the chance of basically frying your chip? your application of as3 to the hs should only be a fraction of what you apply on the cpu. you should just be left with a semi cloudy appearance on the hs. put a dab in the middle and then wipe it away. you are 'wetting' the hs.

sum wud spread it but others dont. i did 2 of those technics, didnt make any difference. if u got one of those tight hsf, it wudnt matter the as3 wud spread out anyway.

Sonny said:
Just follow the instructions of NEVIN & you'll be fine. The easiest & fastest way I found when spreading thermal compound on the core is using a plastic bag on you finger just like when you rub it into the base of your heatsink.

I never thought of that. I have been following the arctic silver website instruction and I find it hard to use a razor blade or a credit card. My hands shake too much.

So when applying the ASIII to the die using finger in a plastic bag do you go over it again w/ something flat , like a credit card or razor blade or leave as is?

And would it be bad if some of the ASIII got onto the ceramic part (outside the die)

If it somehow gets on the bridges then would it be ok to use alcohol to rub it out?

So as long as its not on bridges , then its fine right?

nut said:
I never thought of that. I have been following the arctic silver website instruction and I find it hard to use a razor blade or a credit card. My hands shake too much.

So when applying the ASIII to the die using finger in a plastic bag do you go over it again w/ something flat , like a credit card or razor blade or leave as is?

And would it be bad if some of the ASIII got onto the ceramic part (outside the die)

No need to use anything else after spreading it with your finger in a plastic bag since it will be an extremely thin layer. AS was never conductive BUT is slightly capacitive so it would be better to keep it away from anything that doesnt need it. Warm water & dishwashing detergent is a good thing to use for cleaning it out like what it says on their site.

Back