• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sick of shipping screw ups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You guys think you're sick of shipping screw-ups? Amazon was so sick of it they made their own delivery company :p

Funny thing is I worked on a project for USPS (not an employee) that had to do with their package scanners and their communication with Amazon. Big deal for USPS considering how much money they lose.

Meetings with their higher ups was a big eye opener and told me a lot about their organization.

Basically each post office has a specific area run by them. In my experience this is similar to going to the "good" fast food restaurant in town even though they are the same restaurant. What I mean by that is that in the town I lived in a few years ago had nothing but issues getting any mail to me properly. They'd "forget" what the mailbox flag means and simply not pick up my mail. Then I'd have packages be "delivered" when they had just received them. Total crap shoot as to when I'd get stuff. Going to the post office was a lesson in patience. They were so slow and inept it was amazing.

Where I live now has none of those issues. Everything is on time and if it isn't they let me know. Post office is fast and friendly.

The higher ups told me that what the post offices that are "overwhelmed" do will just scan packages as delivered on their truck so their numbers look good and just get them to people whenever. That explained a lot. They're also supposed to ring your doorbell when they drop off a package. They don't. Ever. They told me to report that anytime it happened. They take it seriously. I guess you have to go higher up if you don't get results.

Another thing a lot of folks don't realize is that USPS is often the "last leg" of delivery even if UPS or Fedex is the primary shipper. Or anyone really. The reason for this is that USPS simply goes where other companies won't. Rural areas are the ones primarily affected by this. Not an issue if you live in an area where they are good. If not, good luck.

Maybe Amazon's drone idea isn't that crazy after all...

Funny thing is I worked on a project for USPS (not an employee) that had to do with their package scanners and their communication with Amazon. Big deal for USPS considering how much money they lose.

Meetings with their higher ups was a big eye opener and told me a lot about their organization.

Basically each post office has a specific area run by them. In my experience this is similar to going to the "good" fast food restaurant in town even though they are the same restaurant. What I mean by that is that in the town I lived in a few years ago had nothing but issues getting any mail to me properly. They'd "forget" what the mailbox flag means and simply not pick up my mail. Then I'd have packages be "delivered" when they had just received them. Total crap shoot as to when I'd get stuff. Going to the post office was a lesson in patience. They were so slow and inept it was amazing.

Where I live now has none of those issues. Everything is on time and if it isn't they let me know. Post office is fast and friendly.

The higher ups told me that what the post offices that are "overwhelmed" do will just scan packages as delivered on their truck so their numbers look good and just get them to people whenever. That explained a lot. They're also supposed to ring your doorbell when they drop off a package. They don't. Ever. They told me to report that anytime it happened. They take it seriously. I guess you have to go higher up if you don't get results.

Another thing a lot of folks don't realize is that USPS is often the "last leg" of delivery even if UPS or Fedex is the primary shipper. Or anyone really. The reason for this is that USPS simply goes where other companies won't. Rural areas are the ones primarily affected by this. Not an issue if you live in an area where they are good. If not, good luck.

Maybe Amazon's drone idea isn't that crazy after all..

Thanks for sharing your insight on USPS. The inconsistencies in service and bizarre culture to "pump" their numbers suggests some serious organizational/ management issues. This is a rural town spread out over a large desert area, USPS has a daunting task getting the mail out to the roadside 'cluster boxes', and keeping a significant number of local mail thieves from defeating the system.

Drones won't work. Flight time is the number one reason, followed by payload capacity. well, and then there's the shotgun Billy with a trigger happy finger on the ranch.

There's an Amazon distribution center a couple miles from where I live. A drone would work great for a lot of stuff I order (like cable combs). Then again, the headphones I'm buying probably wouldn't like a 500 ft drop.

Drones are a dumb idea, can they get signature conformation on a delivery? Nooooooooo. Can they drop your package in plain sight and access of all the thieves? Yeeees.

Drones would likely run out of fuel trying to get to my house. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing your insight on USPS. The inconsistencies in service and bizarre culture to "pump" their numbers suggests some serious organizational/ management issues. This is a rural town spread out over a large desert area, USPS has a daunting task getting the mail out to the roadside 'cluster boxes', and keeping a significant number of local mail thieves from defeating the system.

Sadly from my experience people in your situation are screwed. Your only option for lots of things is likely USPS since Fedex and others typically don't go out into the "boonies". Not sure why, but the rural USPS guys that drive non USPS trucks seem to have issues that the normal carriers don't. Less oversight, maybe, but I do know you are spot on when it comes to their management. Never met a more incompetent group. At least the IT people I had to deal with were.

Since package woes: Taco.....

I was doing little work at client's house and he got "package delivered at front door" message. No package found:D

Sadly from my experience people in your situation are screwed. Your only option for lots of things is likely USPS since Fedex and others typically don't go out into the "boonies". Not sure why, but the rural USPS guys that drive non USPS trucks seem to have issues that the normal carriers don't. Less oversight, maybe, but I do know you are spot on when it comes to their management. Never met a more incompetent group. At least the IT people I had to deal with were.

I thought those carriers doing the clusterbox delivery were contract employees, but the one I spoke to was wearing a USPS uniform shirt.

I do see UPS on our special stretch of dirt-road hell, rarely Fedex but there's been several instances where, through some kind of hybrid shipping arrangement Fedex will hand-off the package to USPS.

Since package woes: Taco.....

I was doing little work at client's house and he got "package delivered at front door" message. No package found:D

Yeah, I've gotten delivery notices that read "left at side gate"....oh really, who's side gate???

Maybe Amazon's drone idea isn't that crazy after all...
I wish my post office was fast and friendly. Usually I'm met with people working the front counter/desk who look like they can't remember what a smile is (generally pretty deadpan) and always seem to look like they're having the worst day ever (how some of these people ended up doing a customer service job is sort of a mystery). There's this one lady who works there who just throws packages into this mail cart that's 6-8 feet from her like they're basketballs or frisbees' with little to no concern for the contents (done that two or three times now with my shipments, and did that when I was there yesterday afternoon actually). That, and even though they have five positions at the counter they never seem to have more than two clerks working the counter at any one time (inefficient during high traffic periods, or busier days). Was there yesterday, line of people out the door when I left, but only one clerk working the desk (The one who never looks like she wants to be there.)

I don't think I've ever had someone from USPS ring my doorbell, occasionally someone will knock on the door when dropping something off, but usually my normal USPS delivery driver starts walking away back to his mail car before I can get up from the couch to walk to the door when I'm home. My worst experience with delivery from them so far was most likely when they dropped off three of my packages off at the wrong address on the same day, thankfully the person who owned that property was nice and honest and dropped them off two days later when they noticed them (some computer parts for a PC I was refurbishing at the time a few years back). How they mixed up the addresses is a bit of a mystery, as literally only the first number and the street name were common between the two addresses, if I remember correctly.

UPS is worse, seen them throw packages onto my doorstep from three to four feet away before. They never knock or use the doorbell, it is nice that they use those plastic bags to put around packages if it's raining though (I've come out to a few packages shipped by USPS that were soaked in a rain storm.) But they sometimes leave packages in odd areas. A few times I've gotten delivery notices saying package was left at front door, a couple of those times though I've found them laying in the bed of a pickup truck that was in my yard or driveway (more secure maybe than my front doorstep, but more difficult for me to find as the recipient as well) (what if it had been the truck of a friend or relative that was just visiting though? I might not have gotten it for days.). One time they said they left it at the front door, I checked the front door, the back door, but eventually found it two hours after it had been delivered sitting in front of my garage behind a vehicle that was parked in the driveway (couldn't see it from the front door, had to open the garage door to see it). UPS also seems to have an annoying habit of if it arrives in the destination city early they will let it sit in the warehouse for a day or two just so that they don't beat their own delivery estimates (apparently, as I've seen this happen on multiple shipments of things I've ordered. Sits in the warehouse for two days for no obvious reason, then gets shipped out the day of the estimated delivery.). They normally estimate delivery between 2:30PM and 5:30PM, but I've seen anywhere between 11:30AM and 6:30PM.

ISits in the warehouse for two days for no obvious reason, then gets shipped out the day of the estimated delivery.). They normally estimate delivery between 2:30PM and 5:30PM, but I've seen anywhere between 11:30AM and 6:30PM.

I used to think- "well at least it's still in their physical possession" but with recent experience I learned that a "scan" can be registered for a package without the package being present. :rolleyes:

The central Post Office in Philly used to (probably still does) have a chute that went from the 3rd or 5th floor to the ground floor or basement (It's been a LOT of years). Anywho, packages went downstairs that way, including the Italian ones marked "Fragile"

The central Post Office in Philly used to (probably still does) have a chute that went from the 3rd or 5th floor to the ground floor or basement (It's been a LOT of years). Anywho, packages went downstairs that way, including the Italian ones marked "Fragile"

You have one of those lamps too?

Oh, been meaning to mention: a big thanks :thup: to Rudy @newegg customer service, NE is going to take care of the wrong shipped situation. Lesson learned- no more "market place" vendors!

lol! Electronics from Walmart? Naaw!

What!? The A6 APU and integrated HD4200 graphics should be great...err...marginally able...for Minecraft if you turn the settings down!
Only places I have in town are Fry's (90 minute bus ride) and BB, right next door to Fry's. Soooo, it's online buying and shipping hassles for me!

Last year I bought an Acer *something* laptop for $199 from Walmart, what was I thinking? The thing couldn't even hit my wifi, could 'see' it but not connect...W10 issue? Anyway, within the first hour I had it, I decided to take it back. Too bad, it was one of the few items in the Electronics Section that hadn't already been opened & returned.

Back