• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slipping into Dependency hell..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Ok, I'm trying not to panic here. I'm taking deep breaths.

Some how libc6 version 2.5-1 has come up as the latest version of libc6. Naturally I went to update it like I always do...and thats when it all went wrong.

Somehow all of the libc6-*, like libc6-dev/i386/etc, they are all updated to version 2.5-1. Yes libc6 is still version 2.3.6.ds1-13. So I get a dependecy error with libc6-dev and libc6-i386-dev. When I try to update libc6 I get the following error,

The following packages will be upgraded:
libc6
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 37 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/4878kB of archives.
After unpacking 1753kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
Can't exec "locale": No such file or directory at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 16.
Use of uninitialized value in scalar chomp at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/Encoding.pm line 17.
(Reading database ... 170301 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.3.6.ds1-13 (using .../archives/libc6_2.5-1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-1_amd64.deb (--unpack): trying to overwrite `/usr/lib64', which is also in package gtk-qt-engine
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.5-1_amd64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

When I go to uninstall gtk-qt-engine (and gtk2-engine-gtk-qt), it says
debian:/home/shelnutt# apt-get remove gtk-qt-engine gtk2-engines-gtk-qt
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.5-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13 is to be installed
libc6-i386: Depends: libc6 (= 2.5-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

I just checked debian.org and 2.3.6ds1-13 is the latest testing version. Since I'm using etch (64 bit) I'm not sure why I've all of a sudden been given 2.5.1...I'm confused. I only have etch repositories, and the beryl repos.

I once had a similar issue which screwed me up. It must have happened when a repo mirror was being updated or fiddled with, or something. Suddenly all of my packages were newer than the ones in the repo. I changed repos and all was forgiven.

Misfit138 said:
I once had a similar issue which screwed me up. It must have happened when a repo mirror was being updated or fiddled with, or something. Suddenly all of my packages were newer than the ones in the repo. I changed repos and all was forgiven.

Didn't help..:( I deleted all my repos, then I added back the etch ones..

hm... if i'm correct, there is a command to forget all the symlinks for that package, so it is like it was never installed, yet it leaves it there. just manually delete it at that pont, and reinstall.

I see a lot of folks with issues like this.. Maybe it's because there pointing there repo' s to ' Testing' instead of 'Etch'?
If version X is not in the repo' s you want, it will not be available..

kel_p said:
I see a lot of folks with issues like this.. Maybe it's because there pointing there repo' s to ' Testing' instead of 'Etch'?
If version X is not in the repo' s you want, it will not be available..

But "testing" is "Etch". "Etch" is still the distro in testing.

kel_p said:
No it isn't..
Stable=Etch and Testing=Lenny

See http://www.debian.org/releases/

Advise is to stick to Etch (stable) for some time until Lenny (testing) has settled somewhat. Or at least don't upgrade without expecting some issues..

Well, I bite my tounge. Etch was just declared stable. Ok, guess I need to go change all my repos to "stable" from "testing".

Shelnutt2 said:
Well, I bite my tounge. Etch was just declared stable. Ok, guess I need to go change all my repos to "stable" from "testing".

Well, the point I'm trying to make is I would change my sources to "Lenny" instead of "Testing". When Lenny goes stable (in about 3 to 400 years) you can gradually upgrade.

kel_p said:
Well, the point I'm trying to make is I would change my sources to "Lenny" instead of "Testing". When Lenny goes stable (in about 3 to 400 years) you can gradually upgrade.

Alright.

and fyi, I installed libc6 2.5-2 with "dpkg --force-all -i libc6*"

Back