• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SMP computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wheatbix

Finally found all the components I want for the SMP computer i'm going to build. Tell me what you think :)
•Enermax 550w ATX Power Supply
•Tyan Thunder K7X or K7, haven't decided
•2x AMD MP 2000
•2x 512mb PC-2100 Registered ECC DDR RAM (1024mb in total)
•Asus GeForce 4 Ti4600 128mb DDR
•Adaptec SCSI adapter 29160 64-bit
•Creative Audigy Platinum PCI Sound Card
•3Com 10/100/1000mbps 64-bit Network card
•Pioneer 8x/4x/2x/1x DVD-RW writer
•Sony 48x/40x/12x CD-RW drive
•250mb Internal zip drive
•36gb Seagate Cheetah 15K
•Western Digital 120GB HDD
•Creative Inspire 5700 5.1 Digital Speakers
What do you think?
Can you see any compatability issues there?

looks real nice:)

with the money your spending i'd either
a) skip out on SCSI all together and get 2 (or more:)) ata133 maxtor HDD's and raid 0 them...or
b) get 2 of those scsi drives and raid 0 them.

the IDE drives would be much cheaper and ofer similar performance in non-server DB apps (which with a gf4 your prolly not gonna be running)

and the audigy MIGHT have a prob with the mobo, but can be taken care of easily w/ a little help from me.
id get the Asus dually board that lets u adjust the Vcore, 2 MP2200+'es are better than 2000+'es;)
and i reccomend the crucial ECC ram, good and cheap

I was originally thinking about the Asus board, but the thread here pursuaded me out of it
Originally posted by James-Italy
Good luck. If you enjoy CONSTANT problem solving you're playing with the right system
And i heard that the Thunder K7 and K7X were really stable. I'm not so much looking for o/c'ing my mp's, but more my GeForce 4

Looks good except for the PSU. The Tyan K7 series takes a special power supply with different connectors than a standard ATX. The one you have listed won't work.

The Antec PP-510D is one that will work...a little hard to find though. The 550W will be fine for the K7X, however. It does take standard ATX PSUs.

Back