• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So whats the fastest you have killed a piece of hardware?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

My record is within 24 hours :) Many years ago I killed my brand new Epox MB when tying to voltmod it :D My soldering skills are crap, and that acident have keept me away from hard-modding ever since :p

But I came really close to breaking that record today. Well actually i did brake it, but I "fixed the board again :)

I had only had my REX for like 2 hours, when I decided that I wanted to remove the Fusion cooling system on it, and check TIM. I removed all the screws but when I pulled the cooling system off I also ripped off a power cap! :shock:
I could see that the points where the cap had to make contact with the board, was still fine so I left the power cap on the cooling system (Still stuck in the TIM) and mounted it all again. And the the board was still alive :D It's been running smoothly for a couple of hours now, and I'm testing 465Mhz FSB atm.
I really diddnt think the board would come back to life after that :D

So whats your fastest HW kill? And how did it happen?

Only thing I've killed was a Rampage III *knock on wood*

2hrs though, thats damn impressive.

I killed an an8 sli and a8n sli in 2.5 hours useing a pos amd x2 4200 when they first came out. It was supposed to be just a toy.. Once core did 2800mhz at just over stock volts, and the other core wouldnt do more then 2450 no matter the vcore, wich is what killed the boards because I was trying to kill the cpu lol.

Anyways, that was the end of my AMD days, and slid into a spiffy new Conroe setup. It was a very expensive weekend :(

Edit:

I should note that is when amd first joind up with chartered semi conductor, chartered was makeing half at the time I believe..

Killed dejo's golden ud3r at the benching party the second I pressed the power button...wasn't really my fault, i think the board was just thrashed from being ridden so hard (hell, it blew a chunk out of the damn mosfet)

I killed $300 worth of drives within a few minutes of opening the package. I made a cable and didn't double check the wiring input. I swapped the 5v and 12v cables on the power supply end and flat out killed the drives.

Needless to say, I check all my cables now and test on hardware that is partially dead or that I don't care about.

Killed a DFI Blood Iron P35 board instantly on first boot with an improperly (not be me!) pad-modded E4300.

Killed a Biostar Tpower I45 within a few hours of getting it in the mail, dropped DICE pot into the open socket, flattening about 770 of the 775 spring pins :rofl:

1st meet 2nd and result was 3rd...

And hate "ThermalBrake" since then. RIP amd duron 800, thou shall not be forgotten.

Attachments

• 80c0b8684928.jpg
    80c0b8684928.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 79
  • 577b7efc1dec.jpg
    577b7efc1dec.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 73
  • 73b357ae2d86.jpg
    73b357ae2d86.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 71
Vovan: Ahh yes, the thrill of mounting a cooler on Socket A, I kinda miss that sometimes :D

Speaking of mounting coolers, I killed two HD4890s last weekend mounting water blocks on them. Based on the beep code I'm getting I think the vRAM was damaged.

I baked the one I can't RMA, and I'll be testing it today.

Edit: Tested it and it's still dead.

Last edited:
Back