• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[Solved] Bitfenix Recon Not Powering Fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skorpien

Hey all,

I'm having an issue with my Recon fan controller and I haven't a clue what, if anything, I can do to fix it.

I'm in the process of building a computer, and having made my own custom length fan cables, I wanted to test them out with the controller to see if they work. The first one I tested worked great. The fan controller powered the fans, read the RPMs and allowed me to manually control the speed.

When it came time to test another cable though, the fan controller wouldn't power them at all. It turns on but every single channel reads zero and it won't allow me to increase the speed of the fans. I tried to use the first cable but that wouldn't work either. All other touch functions work, which ruled out the touch screen, and I've tried other fans connected directly to the controller with no luck.

I contacted Bitfenix for help, but they pretty much said I'm SOL as I modified the cables and voided the warranty.

I went out and bought another one (I'd have gone a different route, but it's one of the few white fan controllers available) and the new one works fine with the same fans and cables. I'd like to try and fix the old one and possibly use it in a future build or as a backup just in case.

For reference, I'm running two Noise Blocker eLoop fans per channel and I have all temp probes connected. I'm not able to use the software as my computer is still incomplete.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It turns out the problem was with the power cable. I had sleeved it previously, and in the process one of the wires broke at the Molex pin. I'd repaired it, but didn't realize that the connection between the wire and the pin for the 12V line was faulty.

The strange thing is that this fan controller's display turns on with it only receiving 5V from the PSU - which led me to believe the power cable was ok - but it won't power any fans.

I re-crimped some new pins and now it powers the fans with no issues.

Back