• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Grid 10 fan hubs question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaaG

So these fan hubs are 3 pin 10 connection hubs, with an output to a controller.

Question is, should all fans connected use all 3 pins, and does the hub actually provide the circuitry for the RPM off its output connection?

Should I only connect 1 fan with a 3 pin for RPM purposes?

Info: Rated for 30W, using GT AP15, wont fill all 10 slots. But will be using a fan controller.

Advice?

It's a forum, not an IM client. ;)

I've never used it, but a quick trip to google and looking over a review/manual leads me to believe you can set it up in a couple of ways... you can run a molex direct to the PSU (for constant 12V, up to 30W), or connect it to a motherboard header/fan controller and the board/controller can control the fans...

...but you're limited in output if the fan header is supposed to give you power (often they are 12W or 24W with 36W typically reserved for pump headers...

...so it seems depends on your motherboard and the output of the header you attach it to as to how many it will power. If you're connecting it to a 3-pin fan controller, it's still getting it's power through one 3-pin lead/the controller and you can control it through the fan controller.

options.jpg

There is 3-pin to 4-pin fan adapters, but the fourth wire is a blank, as the Grid has no PWM functionality, or a way to sense and report speeds. They also include wiring for two ways to power this device. You could use a Molex connector to power the unit via the male Molex to Female 3-pin adapter. If you want control of all of the fans on the Grid, there is a way to gain some control. This can be done via the female 3-pin to female 3-pin adapter that is sent along so the Grid could be connected to a fan controller.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5503/nzxt-grid-10-port-fan-hub-review/index.html

Last edited:
It's a forum, not an IM client. ;)

I've never used it, but a quick trip to google and looking over a review/manual leads me to believe you can set it up in a couple of ways... you can run a molex direct to the PSU (for constant 12V, up to 30W), or connect it to a motherboard header/fan controller and the board/controller can control the fans...

...but you're limited in output if the fan header is supposed to give you power (often they are 12W or 24W with 36W typically reserved for pump headers...

...so it seems depends on your motherboard and the output of the header you attach it to as to how many it will power. If you're connecting it to a 3-pin fan controller, it's still getting it's power through one 3-pin lead/the controller and you can control it through the fan controller.

View attachment 362093

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5503/nzxt-grid-10-port-fan-hub-review/index.html

Thanks ED, seems the tweaktown review is the common one out there.

Wondering if anyone has had any experience with the RPM sensors of a fan controller going wonky from multiple RPM connections. That is my main concern with these.

Since I need to rewire up the GT fans, debating on wiring all 3 pins on all the fans or not.

Back