• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sound dampening with lead?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you allow a denser material to vibrate, it won't help you in sound dampening, but if it is mounted so that it is not allowed to vibrate (like gluing to your case) won't it prevent sound from traveling through it?

That's really going to depend on the structure of the material. Density is just one variable among many.

The name of the game here is certainly energy dissipation. Foams are good to that end because they scatter incoming waves into many directions; they also absorb some of that energy. The scattered wave will have less energy than the incoming wave and lose its coherence. Carpets and similar materials will also work well in this capacity.

Dense materials can indeed absorb sound energy (as noted, for example, in those heavy curtains in the site linked above), but they have to be sufficiently dense and heavy that they don't simply re-transmit the sound energy. Those particular items may have done more to block the sound (and reflect it back towards the source) than to absorb it.

I'd recommend against using the sides of the case as sound dampers with a heavy material. They generally aren't constructed very well (very thin), and I see the possibility that the sound will transmit through the dense material to the thin case, which will then vibrate and further-propogate the sound, although at a different frequency. (It would be better to mechanically isolate the dense material from the sides of the case.)

I'd absolutely recommend against using lead as Soy brought up originally.

First, it's extremely conductive. (think solder) This won't be good for your computer.

Second, it's highly toxic and causes brain damage in people of all ages and developmental disorders in born and unborn children. (lead paint isn't used in homes anyomore for this reason)

See also the CDC lead fact sheet (relating mostly to childhood lead poisoning). Also, here is some information on adult lead poisoning. I'm not sure at the moment if lead exposure is permanent. (For example, once mercury enters your system, it doesn't leave.)

Third, it's a very soft material, which means that small particles will readily come loose and enter the environment. (You won't necessarily see them, either.) With the constant airflow through your case exiting out the back, you'll be carrying this lead particulate matter into your living space. So expect exposure to lead dust if you use it in your computer. (And expect that conductive lead dust to make it into your PSU.)

-- Paul

hooohaa2 said:
if you line the entire case with lead, you will also be protected from EMP (electro-magnetic pulse).

Also something to think about.

well yea hey if theres a nuclear explosion near me (assuming i survive) my computer will be okay all I need to do is "duck and cover" right?

so when you see that flash duuuuuck and cover! ... oh so that wont help?

well, if a warhead is detonated in the upper atmosphere, you won't be hurt at all, maybe exposed to minor radiation, but nothing lethal. Your computer will be one of the few to survive (the military has shielded computers and electronics) however, your new car won't.

HiProfile said:
Physics class should have also enphasised the fact that sound waves are kinetic energy that are being transfered (in waves).

You have a point there, and it did emphasize that. You have to remember, though, that energy is neither created nor destroyed, so that kinetic energy has to go somewhere. In this case, I believe it's heat energy(correct me if I'm wrong).

Soy

heat, some vibration of the denser material (at a lower frequency), and some reflection and back-scattering.

wow now I can work on my mocrowave next to my computer safely!

I am told that unshielded those things can really mess things up

Back