• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SP-97 and 120mm?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[KX3]rAge

Hey, just a quick question, does the Thermalright SP-97 Heatsink hold a 120mm fan or just the 92mm?
I can't seem to find any 92-120mm fan adapters either :(

92mm is the biggest size fan itl take. If you wana put on a 120mm youll need some kind of fan bracket to support the weight...cos the fan will have to be futher away from the hs

alright, thanks mate
I guess I'll have to stick with 92mm then :(
How much of a performance decrease would I see if I used a stealth or silent fan on it rather then something more powerful, not a tornado though :rolleyes:

it depends - if you make your own duct to eliminate the deadspot youll maybe see temps 4°c higher than with a deafening fan...but at least youll have your hearing!

Vrykyl said:
it depends - if you make your own duct to eliminate the deadspot youll maybe see temps 4°c higher than with a deafening fan...but at least youll have your hearing!
Alright, I'll see how it goes :)
Thanks mate

I was thinking about doing this same exact thing, actually. I was going to put a spacer in between the 120mm fan and the heatsink so that I could screw the fan on. So there would be the heatsink, then a 80 or 92mm spacer that the wire things hold onto, then an adapter for a 120mm, which the fan would screw onto. It sounds like it would take up a ton of room, though, and I haven't gotten any response about it in another thread I made.

Iv done just this - tho i found that cos the wire clips have to slip into the spacer fans screw holes to hold it you thus cannot use an adapter on top - theres nothing for it to screw into - you cant hold a 120mm+spacer on with wire clips - its just to heavy and the canter of gravity if way off. I solved this issue with this arrangement -

*edit* - original picture quoted down the page

Last edited:
I used a Zalman arm for Flower heatsinks to hold the 120mm fan above my SP-94 for P4. I found that it worked well but the fan is rather heavy so i've had to anchor it to the side of my case with string :D

fan.jpg

The fan needed some sawing too to make it fit, huzzah for botch jobs!

Vrykyl said:
Iv done just this - tho i found that cos the wire clips have to slip into the spacer fans screw holes to hold it you thus cannot use an adapter on top - theres nothing for it to screw into - you cant hold a 120mm+spacer on with wire clips - its just to heavy and the canter of gravity if way off. I solved this issue with this arrangement -

monster%2520fan%2520diy%2520duct.JPG
Wow, that looks quite good! Can you explain how you did that? Is that black bracket type thing that is holding the fan included witht he SP-97 or is that something you rigged up?
that looks a lot like my system would, including the same mobo, same ram heatspreaders and all, except i have the zalman nb cooler on mine :D

That bracket was made for me by a friend just for the job and built specifically to fit that exact fan - 120mm delta (its thicker than a normal fan) at 190cfm.... :D

Vrykyl said:
That bracket was made for me by a friend just for the job and built specifically to fit that exact fan - 120mm delta (its thicker than a normal fan) at 190cfm.... :D

Holy mother of Jesus, how loud is that 190CFM'er?

That 190cfm delta is 60dba....lol - thats "bl**dy loud" in ordinary language!! ;)

Need your opinoins here
Zalman 7000cu or Thermalright SP-97 with a stealth fan
looking for both cooling and silence

When I first saw the question on this thread, I started to provide a link to Vrykyl's setup, which in my opinion, if by FAR the best I've seen for attaching a 120mm to a ThermalRight, it terms of funtion and good looks, but I see that it made its way here already. That fan is mounted in such a way that I would describe as "worry free"...its not going anywhere.

Vrykyl,

I do have a guestion for you on this setup, and it may have been answered in the original thread, but I missed it. Do you run open case, or do you have a duct to the outside if/when the case is closed?

Back